Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:14 PM   #11

Just something to note on the AF. I never use the Auto AF points. I have never liked them on the epl-1 or my dslr's. And canon dslr have very good AF systems. But You get much better AF accuracy when you tell the camera what to focus on. That being said, I have not run into many AF issues with the epl-1. The contrast AF system has a bit more oof shots then my dslr. But, it is still a respectable number.

And going with the feature the greg chappel pointed out that is now a sticky. It give you even more accurate AF.

At the end, there is not perfect camera out there. But for me, this little camera gives me a great performer, with a nice compact size to travel around with and meets my low light shooting needs. And as I am not a big RAW shooter. The epl-1 jpeg engine if just outstanding. Most of the shots needs little or no editing out the camera.

PS

Like most cameras, once you learn the limits of the system, you know how to work within them. A good photography will get excellent results with any camera imho.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:46 PM   #12

Again, many thanks for the thoughtful replies. What can I say, the images that you have pointed me to are outstanding. And the ease of use comments confirm what has been covered in the reviews.

As Shoturtle said "Like most cameras, once you learn the limits of the system, you know how to work within them." Well, my little Sony W1 has served me well and once you learned how to push it's envelope, it proved to be a satisfactory camera for what, 6 or so years. But sensor crud has finally brought the curtain down and time to move forward.

So... Time to find out for myself. Clerk said "Why do you want to buy this -- no one has ever bought one of these!"

Let the fun begin
Attached Images

KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:50 PM   #13

congrats, it is really a great little camera.

And if the sensor gets dirty, you can simple clean the sensor with a sensor cleaning kit, unlike a point and shoot.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:22 PM   #14
Super Moderator

congrats Kula! I am sure you will enjoy it.

BTW- That clerk doesn't sound like they should be giving advice....
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
BTW- That clerk doesn't sound like they should be giving advice....
If the folks at Olympus are paying attention, your field reps need to get into these outlets and do some serious training. Store after store repeatedly downplayed not only the Pen, but all Olympus equipment. And amazingly, they seemed to all drift over to the Sony NEX models and speak glowingly of the product. The clerk I was dealing with let slip that they have Sony reps in the store every weekend helping out on the floor. Quelle surprise!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:35 PM   #16

Ooooh, the battery charge light just turned blue. Time to fire up...
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:40 PM   #17

Yeah, oly need to do a better job in that department. That has always been one of olympus problems. But to be fair. Sony have been really pushing their nex as they have a much bigger budget then olympus. But when I played around with it, I just hated that gui. I like the buttons way better. And the olympus does do a much nicer job in iq form 100-1600iso. And they do have the better lenses then the nex, which are a bit soft.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
So, how is the manual focus, how well does it work? I was trying a Sony NEX 5 and the manual focus was near unusable. ...
The EPL1 is no different. Unless you spend some $200+ on an EVF, forget about accurate MF through the LCD. Sometimes, the magnification makes it even worse, specially handheld.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The EPL1 is no different. Unless you spend some $200+ on an EVF, forget about accurate MF through the LCD. Sometimes, the magnification makes it even worse, specially handheld.
When I made my comments earlier about the manual focusing being so good with an E-PL1, I did not mention for the OP and should have that I do have the Olympus eyelevel VF-2 finder. I would not have even bought an E-PL1 if it did not have the option of using something like this type eyelevel finder.

If Olympus did not make the VF-2 for their Pens, I would have bought a Panasonic G2 instead.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:10 AM   #20

well with the camera the op was being push on like the nex, there is no evf option with that camera.