Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:39 PM   #41

well it depends, the t1i can shoot action and in very low light, but epl-1 is better carry around and travel with and have equal image quality form 100-1600iso. So it depends on what is worth more to you. Some it is compact size and light weight, to other the higher performance with the higher iso and faster AF system for action.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:07 PM   #42

lolface,

That question does not have have one, universal answer. Wll you know how to use the Rebel to get the best results and, more importantly, buy the lenses you need to be able shoot those images, whatever they are?

Even a $6,000 Canon 1Ds Mark III will produce poor results in the hands of someone who does not know how to use it. Just having the equipment doesn't guarantee anything.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 13, 2010 at 8:10 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:06 PM   #43

lolface
Has said beginner ever handled a camera/any photography background? I only ask because if you have any experience at all with a slr type camera, then you might be more comfortable with the handling of the t1i. Or if you have used/played with point and shoots, then the E-PL1 might be more comfortable. They will both have their hidden talents. Both can be fine cameras as is, both can be improved with additional equipment. Each camera will have it's limits so it is up to the user to make the best with what they have in hand. And have fun.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It all comes down to working within the limits of the camera. ...
The problem is that if the camera is too limiting, then it defeats the purpose of having a fast lens (like the Lumix 20mm), for instance. Today I tried to take some pictures of my son and his dog with the EPL1 and the 20mm. He was in our family room and I was using fill flash since there was plenty of light but coming from behind. No matter what I did, I could not prevent the image from being overblown. I cut down flash output to -2, reduced exposure to -2 but that did absolutely nothing to the exposure. So, I don't think the EPL1 with the 20mm can meter accurately when fill flash is used.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:40 PM   #45

Did you try center weight or spot. When I do use the 20mm with a flash, I change up the metering.

But like I said I agree with you, the epl-1 does not fit everyones needs the same way. Just the same as the canon t1i may not fit someone else. If it does not suite you, it may be best to send it back.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:46 PM   #46

Just one more thing, I have the same issues with my t1i if I use my primes at 2.8 or wider, everything gets blown out if I do not change up the metering in conditions similar to what you have been describing.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 13, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The problem is that if the camera is too limiting, then it defeats the purpose of having a fast lens (like the Lumix 20mm), for instance. Today I tried to take some pictures of my son and his dog with the EPL1 and the 20mm. He was in our family room and I was using fill flash since there was plenty of light but coming from behind. No matter what I did, I could not prevent the image from being overblown. I cut down flash output to -2, reduced exposure to -2 but that did absolutely nothing to the exposure. So, I don't think the EPL1 with the 20mm can meter accurately when fill flash is used.
I'm not a fan of built-in flash units for the most part. The light is too direct and unflattering, although the little unit on this camera can be tilted up and bounced if you're shooting horizontally and are not too far away. The few times I have ever used the built-in unit on my DSLR's is outdoors for fill flash on vacation outdoors where built-in units work much better..

I have not had too many chances to try my E-PL1 yet with flash but did snap a couple of shots with my kitty using the FL50R flash in the hot shoe with the head pointed up and fitted with the Demb bounce attachment and the 40-150 f4-5.6 Zuiko. A light lens like the 40-150 makes holding the camera out in front and using the back LCD with a bigger flash in the hot shoe not too bad a proposition. I wouldn't want to spend 4 hours shooting a wedding like that, but it is very effective.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:26 AM   #48

I have experience with Point and Shoot cameras but barely any SLR experience. I am taking photography class right now.
lolface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:18 AM   #49

either camera will work fine. You just need to decided if the compact size is more important or if you want the larger dslr.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:30 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolface View Post
I have experience with Point and Shoot cameras but barely any SLR experience. I am taking photography class right now.
The photography classes -- will you have access to equipment?
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote