Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:59 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The problem is that if the camera is too limiting, then it defeats the purpose of having a fast lens (like the Lumix 20mm), for instance. Today I tried to take some pictures of my son and his dog with the EPL1 and the 20mm. He was in our family room and I was using fill flash since there was plenty of light but coming from behind. No matter what I did, I could not prevent the image from being overblown. I cut down flash output to -2, reduced exposure to -2 but that did absolutely nothing to the exposure. So, I don't think the EPL1 with the 20mm can meter accurately when fill flash is used.
A sheet of lens cleaning tissue over the flash -- the quick and easy diffuser would help soften things...

It could be that the camera's software for directing flash output was geared to the slower f3.5 of the kit lens - the thinking being there will be more units used "as is out of the box" versus with the faster optional lens. Plus, you are using a foreign lens that may not communicate completely with the EPL1 software.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:05 AM   #52

kula

That is a pretty good idea with the cleaning tissue over the flash. That would make quick diffuser. I hate flash wash, so next time I need to use the flash, I will have to try that out. Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:11 PM   #53

I shouldn't have to change the metering point in order to obtain a properly exposed image when shooting with flash. I have the camera set to Center Weight and that should suffice. I should not have to change the aperture either. That's the whole point of having a built-in flash...no need for extra settings. Apparently that's not the case with the EPL1.

BTW, I looked at the firmware upgrade and it talks about AF speed, not accuracy. My problem is more related to OOF images rather than how fast the camera locks focus.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:15 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
A sheet of lens cleaning tissue over the flash -- the quick and easy diffuser would help soften things...
I grabbed my 5-year old Sony H1 and took a couple of pictures of my son holding the dog immediately after I shot with the EPL1 and the pictures were perfectly exposed. I did not have to do a thing (and the H1 flash is much stronger than the EPL1). It is obvious that the H1 flash throttles down much more accurately than the EPL1. What's wrong with this picture?!?

Tullio
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:22 PM   #55

Quote:
I shouldn't have to change the metering point in order to obtain a properly exposed image when shooting with flash. I have the camera set to Center Weight and that should suffice. I should not have to change the aperture either. That's the whole point of having a built-in flash...no need for extra settings. Apparently that's not the case with the EPL1.

BTW, I looked at the firmware upgrade and it talks about AF speed, not accuracy. My problem is more related to OOF images rather than how fast the camera locks focus.
With all my prime lenses, if I am shooting a bright background. I do change my metering as a pattern metering does have overexposure issues on my T1i. And it was the same with the epl-1. To me that is normal when shooting wide open in brightly lit areas.

Also with my all 4 of my canon lenses, in daylight I can not shoot them wide open without overexposing. They are just to bright. I always need to stop down to at least 2.8. So for me when using the epl-1 with the 20mm 1.7 it was just normal to do that.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:33 PM   #56
Super Moderator

I don't know. I have not had any trouble with the onboard flash on my epl1. It does the job just fine, no different from any other dslr pop up. I have not heard any other major problems with it either, seems to function no worse (or better) than any other popup.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 4:02 PM   #57

Quote:
I grabbed my 5-year old Sony H1 and took a couple of pictures of my son holding the dog immediately after I shot with the EPL1 and the pictures were perfectly exposed. I did not have to do a thing (and the H1 flash is much stronger than the EPL1). It is obvious that the H1 flash throttles down much more accurately than the EPL1. What's wrong with this picture?!?
By chance, on your Sony, do you keep the flash set to SL, and/or do you have the flash output set to Minus 1? On my old sony, that was how I always left the flash for fill situations and rarely did it blow out the exposures. I think it might just be a matter of delving deeper into how the PL1 works to find a comfortable setting. I like that the PL1 offers me the chance to "work" the camera more.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 4:56 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
With all my prime lenses, if I am shooting a bright background. I do change my metering as a pattern metering does have overexposure issues on my T1i. And it was the same with the epl-1. To me that is normal when shooting wide open in brightly lit areas.
The background was not that bright. Using prime lenses should not have anything to do with over exposure when shooting with flash (as long as the prime is fully functional, i.e. not a MF vintage prime). If I have the 20mm or the 14-42mm set to 20mmFL, it should not make any difference as far as exposure is concerned, as long as the aperture is set equally on both lenses, which was the case.

Quote:
Also with my all 4 of my canon lenses, in daylight I can not shoot them wide open without overexposing. They are just to bright. I always need to stop down to at least 2.8. So for me when using the epl-1 with the 20mm 1.7 it was just normal to do that.
The reason is because the shutter speed is not fast enough. If you are shooting with a very fast lens (f1.7 and wider) in bright daylight, you'll need a shutter speed of 1/6000 (or faster) or use a ND filter. I can understand this behavior with the 20mm. However, I was shooting indoors, in a not so bright room with flash. The camera should have handled it better (as the H1 did).

Tullio
Old Sep 14, 2010, 5:11 PM   #59

Then this is not the right camera for you. Like the panny gf1 would not be the right camera for me as I need 1600iso. I would send it back if you are not happy with it.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 6:02 PM   #60

Don't forget the bare facts: no other cameras are this small, cheap and good. It may not do few things so well, neither do others in its class. It is currently the overall best buy.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote