Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:45 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Then this is not the right camera for you. Like the panny gf1 would not be the right camera for me as I need 1600iso. I would send it back if you are not happy with it.
I think you're right, shoturtle. The price was good and everything but there's just too many little annoyances that will drive me crazy in the long run. I did get some good results in bright daylight shooting (will post a few) but the indoor shots were very inconsistent. The nice thing about the EPL1 is the lens compatibility with my G1. If I go with the Sony for instance, I'll have to invest in a total different line of lenses. Maybe I'll use the EPL1 money and put it toward a GH1 body instead. After all, the GH1 is the best m4/3 camera out there.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:50 AM   #62

Oh, you already have a G1, no wonder your were not so impressed. They are not so different.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:12 AM   #63

Actually I would sell the G1 and return the epl-1. Having both the g1 and gh1 is kinda redundant. You get the same size camera, with pretty much the same abilities minus the HD. But low light you are getting the same iso max.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:25 AM   #64

Talking about max shut speed and strong sun, I've found that EPL1 does not like too much light for video. Under gentle lighting condition, video is as great as I expected. You just gave me a great idea - add a ND filter for outdoor video! Thank you!

Still, GH1 does much better video, no question about that. But if you're not into video much, GH1 does not make much sense than G1 or EPL1. To me, I simply don't like the colors out of Panny and Sony.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:07 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
Oh, you already have a G1, no wonder your were not so impressed. They are not so different.
Well, with the exception of high ISO performance (the EPL1 beats the G1 hands down) and the fact that it does not have IBIS (bad for shooting with MF lenses), the G1 is a better camera all around. It has an EVF, swivel higher res LCD, better flash, better ergonomics, shorter shutter lag, better battery consumption, better WB adjustment options, etc.

Tullio
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:10 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
...But if you're not into video much, GH1 does not make much sense than G1 or EPL1. To me, I simply don't like the colors out of Panny and Sony.
The GH1 produces the best IQ of all m4/3 cameras (the EPL1 still has better high ISO performance).

Tullio
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:12 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Actually I would sell the G1 and return the epl-1. ...
Return the EPL1...most likely. However, since the G1 has lost a lot of value, I'd be better off keeping it as a spare body or having it converted to IR.

Tullio
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:58 AM   #68

The GH1 is a fine camera. Think it is what you really wanted. You will most likely enjoy it more then the epl-1. It does meet your requirements better.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:00 AM   #69
Super Moderator

or wait on the GH2 with the multi-aspect 16mp imager.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:11 PM   #70

The GH2 will most likely be way too expensive (as the GH1 was when first released, reason why I went for the G1).

Tullio