Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:16 AM   #11

Greg, these are great, I have been thinking about getting the panny lens but now that the e-5 is coming out may be getting that first. That lens seems to be amazing though.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:28 PM   #12

Why Olympus keeps doing few stupid things? The last time it was the xD card; this time it is 720p in the world of 1080p. This latest e-5 is no exception.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:57 PM   #13

Look what they did to the EPL1...in times when just about every cheap P&S has a 3" hi-res LCD, Oly incorporates a pathetic 2.7" low-res LCD on an otherwise good camera. Go figure.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
Why Olympus keeps doing few stupid things? The last time it was the xD card; this time it is 720p in the world of 1080p. This latest e-5 is no exception.
I don't think the E5 is a stupid thing at all for anyone who has invested tons of money into that system of lenses. Electronic finders, as good as they are and I love my VF-2, still are not up to the task of completely replacing optical finders for ALL types of shooting. I was saying that long before ever trying a micro body myself and nothing over the few weeks I have seen using the E-PL1 has convinced me otherwise. From what I have seen and read, there's no way even the new Sony could be used at the horse track to shoot racing, NHL hockey game or even major league baseball the way I use my E30, and the E5 will bridge the time for Olympus, hopefully long enough that there will be a truly completely useable for all types of subjects mirrorless option for both systems in 2-3 years.

Sony has spent a lot of time and tons of money in their new system and has, no doubt, engineered the electronic viewing system to the highest state it is currently capable of, and it's still barely good enough to do anything beyond what you can do currently using a VF-2 finder on a Pen body or a Panasonic G2 to shoot.

The XD card, on the other hand was and has been for a few years now, really, really stupid. The only good use I ever made of the XD card was I kept one in the xd card slot of my DSLR just in case I was shooting somewhere and security tried to take my card so I could just hand them the xd card and, hopefully, get away with the CF card where I was storing everything.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 17, 2010 at 4:03 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
...The only good use I ever made of the XD card was I kept one in the xd card slot of my DSLR just in case I was shooting somewhere and security tried to take my card so I could just hand them the xd card and, hopefully, get away with the CF card where I was storing everything.
Now that's creative! You just need to hope that the officer does not see the CF card in the camera and/or ask to look at the camera. Otherwise, you'd loose not one but two memory cards...LOL!

Tullio
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:57 PM   #16

Oh, I did not mean e-5 was stupid; I meant lack of 1080p in any new camera is.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:26 PM   #17

I also just bought this lens, and it's very nice..... cost me the equivalent of $525 USD.......

(Ok, they also threw in a Panasonic GF1 body for free!!!! )
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:01 PM   #18

What a deal!!! Well, the body wasn't quite for free but $175 is a pretty darn good price!

Tullio
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:08 AM   #19

very nice pic...
guntur12 is offline   Reply With Quote