Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 13, 2010, 2:04 PM   #1

Default Does this ViVitar Macro Zoom lens worth an adapter?

Although the lens is only $10, an adapter cost $20, and it is a Minolta not the more popular Nikon and Canon. I also read that macro zoom lenses are bad quality compared to pure telephoto or fixed macro lenses. How about this one? I don't care much about the macro side as my kit lens does that well enough, I'll mainly use its telephoto (zoom) part. I like its size, quite compact compared to most SLR lenses, quite heavy though, a little over 1 pound. I also like its one-touch, easy to zoom and focus.
Attached Images

sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:29 PM   #2

For $10, almost any lens is worth a try. That's a fairly slow lens. Hopefully the screen will gain up for viewing and focusing.

Most Vivitar lenses I would look for have serial numbers that begin with "22". Those were made for Vivitar by Kino Optical. They made all the original Series 1 lenses for Vivitar as well as several other non-Series 1 excellent optics, like a 70-150 f3.8 one-ring macro and a close focusing 24mm f2 that is superb. Kino later marketed their own lenses under the Kiron name. All first class optics.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:05 PM   #3

Thank you Greg. There was a Kiron for $20! But someone bought away while I was doing my research on whether it is possible to use it on EPL1.

How you think about this one for $20: Tokina 75-300 1:4.5-5.6 620288. It has a Nikon AI mount.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 4:14 PM   #4

Tokina makes excellent lenses. No doubt for when it was made it probably is a very good lens. gain, a little slow, but that's because of the 300mm reach.

I don't have it here at the office, but this evening when I get home I'll send you a really cool link on third-party lenses a guy compilled a while back with lots of great information to know when looking for these type lenses from the 1970's and 80's.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:32 AM   #5

OK, here's that site I promised..

http://web.archive.org/web/200212030...hird/cult.html

I have owned several of those original Vivitar Series 1 lenses from 1980 at one time or another...the 35-85 f2.8, 28mm f1.9, 90-180 f4.5 flat field, 135mm f2.3, all in Nikon F mount and all of them heavy suckers. You'd never have wanted them all in one bag at the same time. If you ever were attacked, you could bludgeon the attacker with the lens, then use it to snap his picture.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 14, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:31 AM   #6

Thanks! Next time I won't let any one of these slip away. BTW, ordered a Minolta adapter on ebay, will post some photos/video when it arrives.

Last edited by sdcs; Sep 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM.