Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:13 PM   #11

I do not disagree the kit lens may not do great HD, as I do not have the plastic one. But the OP is the only one that has the HD lens and epl-1 on Steve's. Would love to see what his HD samples are like with that combo.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:00 AM   #12

Default Calm Gentlemen please :-)

All will be well, I shall carry out a test. The EPL1 was bought for me as a still camera for my hobby use but...

To answer the unasked question, I am not proposing to use the EPL1 any significant role in my wife's professional films and documentaries, we use 2 x JVC HM-100s, which are perfect for what we need in every way other than they use 3 x 1/3 sensors, so low light is the only place they suffer, even tho tbh they handle it better than they have any right to.

My interest in the EPL1 is, does it have any mileage for very specific circumstances (as a 2nd "B camera") where the bigger sensor might let me get reasonable quality images with low noise to catch unguarded moments - which is generally tough with an array of video lights facing the talent Limitations of clip length are irrelevant as these would be very short mood clips. Quality of encoding and the limitations of motion jpeg I am sure may be an issue but FCP handles mixed source material very well so I have no real concerns that I can't work my way around in post porduction.

I realise the HD lens is rather slow and it might be that it represents the limiting factor, but it was cheap on Ebay so I thought why not give it a go?

So I have to beg your indulgence and ask for patience as sadly other pressures mean I am struggling to find time to get this comparative test arranged.

Simon
2wheel_simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:19 PM   #13

Don't get me wrong, EPL1 is able to produce top-class video. Just the firmware does some weird things sometimes, resulting into horrible video. Just sometimes, not always.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:08 AM   #14

Default Test Clip so please don't judge too much

Literally ran out at lunch time to grab some handheld clips for you. Hence no tripod, and consequential motion sickness shake, especially at the 140mm end of the lens.

Used the HD lens, Video mode but with fixed aperture and CF. Both OIS on the lens and (I discovered later) IBIS was switched on. I am quite inmpressed by the way it handles the ripples in the pond as this can cause some encoders to fall apart.

Clips may still be encoding on Vimeo until an hour or so has passed.

http://vimeo.com/15631593

http://vimeo.com/15631912

Simon
2wheel_simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:08 PM   #15

I'll try to shoot some video with the EPL1 and the Lumix 14-45mm (which is a better lens).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 1:27 PM   #16

Thanks for posting the clips. Wow, vimeo is much slower than youtube on processing video.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:14 PM   #17

Optically it is not, as it was tested by one of the big testing sites out there. The 14-42 was a little be better actually.

Personal preference is another matter. That is up to the user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I'll try to shoot some video with the EPL1 and the Lumix 14-45mm (which is a better lens).
Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:15 PM   #18

The video looks pretty nice with the 14-140HD lens. Thanks for uploading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheel_simon View Post
Literally ran out at lunch time to grab some handheld clips for you. Hence no tripod, and consequential motion sickness shake, especially at the 140mm end of the lens.

Used the HD lens, Video mode but with fixed aperture and CF. Both OIS on the lens and (I discovered later) IBIS was switched on. I am quite inmpressed by the way it handles the ripples in the pond as this can cause some encoders to fall apart.

Clips may still be encoding on Vimeo until an hour or so has passed.

http://vimeo.com/15631593

http://vimeo.com/15631912

Simon

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Optically it is not, as it was tested by one of the big testing sites out there. ...
It doesn't matter how big the testing site is, they are not infallible. Just because they test the lenses in a controlled environment it does not mean the results absolutely reflect the quality when shooting in real life. I have both lenses and IMO, the Lumix is better than the Zuiko in every respect. In terms of build, it's far far superior. Optically the Lumix construction is 12 elements in 9 groups vs. the Oly 9 elements in 8 groups. The Lumix also offers a bit more range and it's a lot quieter. In terms of IQ, it's a close call but the Lumix is sharper (edge-to-edge) and it produces way less PF/CA.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:22 PM   #20

They both are not great lenses, that is the bottom line, optically the are really below average lenses compare to most of the dslr lenses out there. They perform well because the cameras adjust for all their short coming. The 14-42 just has a hair bet distortion compare to the 14-45 optically.