Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:34 PM   #21

I agree, they are not great lenses. However, many DSLRs come with poor kit lenses as well. As far as distortion is concerned, No one should care as long as the camera is making the appropriate corrections. This problem is more significant when shooting RAW and the Zuiko produces more distortion (specially at 14mm) than the Lumix. You are speaking from reading reviews while I'm speaking from experiencing both lenses on two different camera brand/models. I'll repeat, reviews are not 100% infallible.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:38 PM   #22

The correction for the lumix may be better then when shooting in RAW. As the camera still correct to a degree in raw RAW. But in Jpeg, the oly lens is the better lens.

I do not disagree that review are not infallible. But optically speaking, they both suck if you can somehow remove the correction factor. But that can not be done.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 7, 2010 at 5:19 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:11 PM   #23

As I said, I only care about the final image. Whether the camera had to do some serious correction or not is irrelevant. The Zuiko 17mm is one of the worse lenses I've seen in terms of distortion. The G1 was not able to make the necessary corrections, so images were very distorted. However, the EP1 did an excellent job and images showed no distortion. So, for those G1 owners looking for a 17mm lens, the Zuiko was not the one but for Oly owners, it was a good match. In the case of the kit lenses, both cameras manage to correct lens distortion very well, so it does not really matter.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:17 PM   #24

Default Video Footage

Blimey

I only wanted to show some video footage using my new camera not start a lens war

Peace...

Simon
2wheel_simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:19 PM   #25

LOL

No war, as both lens really optically sucks for what they are, but the nice thing about m4/3 is the camera corrections with the lens.

But thanks, the video looks quick nice with the 14-140HD.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:37 PM   #26

Just watched the two clips and they confirmed my worries. They look exactly like the early video I took with my kit lens, pale colors and faces, nowhere focused on. Lately I concluded that focusing is the key for good video and manual focus is the key, see my updated comments in my "This is why keep saying..." thread. I'll upload some video to Vimeo.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:27 PM   #27

Have anyone try shooting video in Ienhance mode? Seem to work well with colors when my wife shoots video clips.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:55 PM   #28

I tried but iEnhance is not available for movie. Vivid mode is too vivid to me, so I stay with Natural.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:56 PM   #29

even if you shoot aperture mode, with ienhance. then capture with the video button?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:07 AM   #30

No matter what I did, no iEnhance for video.

This is the rule about the red record button: as long as the dial is not at the movie position, once you press the red button, it becomes as if the dial is at movie position and P mode is selected.