Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:14 AM   #31

Very interesting. I keep look at a video I took a jpeg and shot a video, and the colors look them same. Strange, I might be missing something. The jpeg was shot in ienhance.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:25 AM   #32

From what I read: iEnhance is a smart version of vivid; vivid is applied only if the camera thinks it should. I.e., some iEnhanced images may look the same as Natural.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:49 AM   #33

could be, as I though Ienhance was design to be closer to what the human eye perceives. But I might be wrong there.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:42 AM   #34

Default Pale faces in English videos

[QUOTE=sdcs;1151804]...Just watched the two clips and they confirmed my worries. They look exactly like the early video I took with my kit lens, pale colors and faces... QUOTE]

Of course the pale faces might be because we are in England and we never really ever get to see the sun.

I was surprised on movie mode set with the dial on the top of the camera the image was ludicrously over exposed, so the paleness might be down to me not stopping down enough and/or pushing up the exposure/framerate and I relied on auto WB so loads of room ofr me to get this better looking. I was tentative as I could not work out how it could be so far "wrong" and I wondered if it was the evf setup.

I will do more investigations and reprot when time is on my side.

S
2wheel_simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:08 AM   #35

It's not your fault or weather's, this camera does weird things to recent AF lenses and I still have no clue about it. The only thing I've found is that this camera likes old MF lenses for video. If you watch the video about how the epl1 commercial was made, you'll see all old huge lenses.

When I use the kit lens, I can easily get cold colors and faces and blurry everywhere, just like what you just did, while almost always perfect images if I use old MF lenses. Once the rain stops, I'll do some more tests and upload some video.

I never liked the human faces recorded with the kit lens, while they look so lovable out of old lenses. The following video shows perfectly how pale a face becomes on video compared to the still image, all the red blood you see on stills disappear on video:

http://vimeo.com/15293264

Then this video shows a great face when a right lens is used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVGLCktCUZI
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:58 AM   #36

Simon, I put your 2nd video onto my 65" HDTV and it looked fine with the TV set to brilliant. I think your issue is the lighting and time of day with the color. I keep looking a videos my wife took and depending on the time of day and the way the light strikes the subject. It gives you different color tone, just like shooting photos at different time of the day.

[QUOTE=2wheel_simon;1151938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
...Just watched the two clips and they confirmed my worries. They look exactly like the early video I took with my kit lens, pale colors and faces... QUOTE]

Of course the pale faces might be because we are in England and we never really ever get to see the sun.

I was surprised on movie mode set with the dial on the top of the camera the image was ludicrously over exposed, so the paleness might be down to me not stopping down enough and/or pushing up the exposure/framerate and I relied on auto WB so loads of room ofr me to get this better looking. I was tentative as I could not work out how it could be so far "wrong" and I wondered if it was the evf setup.

I will do more investigations and reprot when time is on my side.

S

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 11, 2010 at 2:01 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:07 AM   #37

I too have noticed that all my E-PL1's video look much better on a 50" plasma TV than on a computer monitor, especially if the monitor is not properly adjusted on color, contrast and brightness.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:13 AM   #38

Also, something people do not realized. HD has change the way makeup artist do people's makeup. A friend of my wife's work as a makeup artist for video. And with the advent of HD, it requires special make up to make the face more pleasing to the camera. So that can explain some of the paleness of the people shot. The skin is not catching enough light for the video.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:18 AM   #39

The larger sensor of the epl-1 and the nex do not make people look as good with out HD make up, even on the nex, they come out a bit pale. Think that with the smaller camcorder, the makeup is not as important. But with TV and Movie size format. It becomes more important to have powder and make up right. And the camera do have higher image quality. Even with my T1i HD of a person do look pale.

So I think that may be one of the big reason the pen commercial look so good. The actor had the correct make up on.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:41 AM   #40

Have you watched my video? See how the old Vivitar lens do faces:

http://www.vimeo.com/15711901

The two segments of people wandering in market used a Vivitar 70-210mm lens, the rest used the 14-42mm kit lens. As you can see in the kids playground segment, the kit lens is not able to render faces well. From the Panny 14-140 HD video posted by Simon, that lens shares the same character - pale faces. Or put it this way: it is an EPL1 character, a good old lens like the Vivitar helps.

As you can see from the video showing how the PEN commercial was made, all lenses are huge, that's why the actress's face looks so well, just like what you see in my video from the Vivitar lens.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 11, 2010 at 2:45 AM.