Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:53 AM   #41

your video and the op's video had different lighting. I was talking to my wife's friend, and her bf is a camera man. And video is even more sensitive to lighting. And depending on where he is shooting. The lighting affects things very differently through out the world. Simon lives England, it is at a higher lat then most the US. So the light is really different there. That is why they use so much lighting equipment even shooting during the day.

And with your video, depending on the person and the level of tan and skin tone. Some were a bit pale. Also it looks like you were shooting the people at a good time of day to give the warmer results. I do not know about the kit lens, as I do not have the plastic one. But the op's paleness, you can tell comes into play as the people moved form the warmer light from the opening shot to the colder lighting where it stopped.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 11, 2010 at 2:55 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:29 AM   #42

Did you see this:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...fferently.html

The lighting is exactly the same.

I know lighting makes difference, but that cannot be the excuse for the difference betwenn the lenses I've seen so far. I have many more footages taken under different lighting conditions.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 11, 2010 at 4:07 AM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:48 AM   #43

Those are photos, not video. And the WB is off on those shots. You really can not say that the HD is similar to the kit lens. As you do not know how the HD lens shoot photos. And after talking to my wife's friends bj, lighting is so important, that it may look the same, but are completely different within 10 feet or within 10min. That is why the use all those huge spot light during the day to keep the light constant.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 11, 2010 at 8:03 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:41 AM   #44

If photos can be so different and you say video is more sensitive, then how could they won't affect video but photos only?

I fully agree how important lighting is to video and how lightning changes, such as moving clouds, but here there's a huge difference caused by lenses, not lighting.

After some research I think the coatings on the old lenses are different than the new lenses. Epl1's WB algorithm is confused. Interesting, the wb errors make video more pleasing.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:56 AM   #45

From my long talk with the camera man, it is 2 completely different animals video and photos. Photos the light need to be right for less the 1 sec. While video the light need to be constant for minutes as the scene is being shot.

On simon's video, this is clearly the case when walking form the warmer light to the cooler lighting.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:07 PM   #46

Also with pro video and movie shooters, they are always redoing AE lock with a gray card when shooting outdoors. As the lighting is aways changing. So between shoots, they are aways updating it.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
On simon's video, this is clearly the case when walking form the warmer light to the cooler lighting.
I don't disagree, what's interesting to me is that under the same lighting the kit lens tends to give cold video while the old lens still warm, and the kit lens tends to be washed out while the old lens don't. I don't have the HD lens but I see such characters in Simon's tests.

Overall, I cannot accept kit lens for video but very happy with the old lenses. After tests and research, I think all new lenses are similar to the kit lens on this regard.

If video is a concern, epl1 users should give old lenses a try. They are deadly cheap anyway and the Tokina SZ-X 270 is as small and light as the HD. No, I don't sell old or any lenses.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:46 PM   #48

Every lens is different. That is way your sample photos are so different. But cleap older MF lens is a good option for video. As the 14-140HD and the 75-300HD are 700-800 dollars lenses.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:13 PM   #49

I think video likes the old coatings found on the old lenses. I wonder why not these new HD lenses have special coatings for video in addition to silent and fast focusing.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:18 PM   #50

The video with the HD lens was good at the beginning. But fade away when the subjects moved away form the warm light. I show it to the camera man. He believes if the lighting setup right with proper lighting. The paleness would not have occur. But lighting like that cause thousands of dollars. You video was taken at the right time of day. As the light from the sun was not harsh. If the light is to harsh it whites out allot of the color.

I have a even great respect for people that can shoot great HD videos. It really is a tone of work, just point the camera and capturing a clip is not shooting a video. It is equal to just a snap shot in photography.