Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:36 PM   #61

I did not say HD won't perform EPL1; I used words like "may or may not..., unless...".

Yes I made assumptions and I made that clear. I'm more than happy to see people defeat these assumptions with firm facts.

As I said, I have more video with the old lenses and kit lens, they show similarly to the one I posted. The Vivitar does not get that kind of paleness like the kit lens, at least not that much, regardless lighting conditions. I picked up my best ones to post to let people see how good is possible; as for how worse possible, no need for me to post as there are already lots of them in youtube and vimeo and in some popular review sites.

As for Simon's video, when the focus is moved from warm to the cool area, why the camera failed to adjust its WB accordingly? I'm more than happy to see better video from Simon and his HD, but from these two all I can say is they are typical to my kit lens and my kit lens now can do better after I found out all the details about this camera.

Again I understand fully about shooting conditions, the bare fact is: I see the paleness character from EPL1's video FAR more than any other cameras including other two PEN cameras i.e. EP1/2. Paul Treacy and Robert Watcher are very experienced and creative photographers, their EPL1's video are the very best I've seen but I still see that kind of palelness from them. I provided the links to these video. Panasonic's M4/3 are very similar and use the same sensor, but I almost never saw a single video is as pale as EPL1's. This is not an assumption; it is what I see with my eyes and with my own camera. I'm not the only one, at least another EPL1 owner noticed exactly the same with his EPL1 and kit lens, see the photo I posted in my earlier post.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 12, 2010 at 9:47 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:46 PM   #62

WB is never used in auto, video guys never use it, and even pro-camcorder AWB sucks. That is why they are aways doing custom WB updates. That comes form a pro camera man that shoots a NYC base TV series. That is why you have AE AF and custom WB, and why all serious video guys carry a Gray card to lock exposure and update WB.

There is a tone on how to shoot great video stuff on the web. My wife's friend point me to izzy video. Go place to learn how to use the equipment, so that you can get better video results. Very informative.

http://www.izzyvideo.com/
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:54 PM   #63

Did Simon say he did not use auto WB? I thought AWB was used as it is the default.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:01 PM   #64

AWB is not something you want to used, and when shooting video, you should not use auto that is what a pro told me. And it makes sense. How often does auto WB get thing right in tricky situations with photos. Video is 30-60x worst. So you really want to control that. And I believe with even camcorders, they do not change WB while shooting. That is why pro shoots multi angles of the same shot, adjusting WB and exposure between takes.

I seriously would look at the izzy link. It really was informative, and will show you how to take better video. Because there is a ton of bad video on viemo and youtube as people do not know how to set up video shooting.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:10 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Here is a GH1, and the people are pale as well, but it is due to lighting and no HD make up.
http://vimeo.com/8141453

Here is a epl-1 video, it is warm when the lighting was warm, and the people get a little pale when the light is cold.
http://vimeo.com/13022411
Yes I have watched Ferdz Decena's many video and provided links to them in my other thread. He is another great EPL1 photographer in addition to Paul and Robert. Like Paul and Robert's, his video is also among the very best from EPL1 and I too see the same things that I don't like.

I see nothing wrong in the GH1 video. The contrast is not great due to dark condition, but nothing is pale, not even gray, any EPL1's video is no compare to it. When I say pale, I mean like dead people's face (like below photo). I see lots of blood in the faces and skins in the GH1 video, even though contrast is not good.

Last edited by Hards80; Oct 12, 2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: don't link other people's pics, it violates their rights
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:13 PM   #66

Your shot that you keep posting is address in izzy's website. Harsh lighting that is why you photo capture is os washed.

But I do, the people is very pale in my eye. I looked at it and it is as pale what you pointed to with the epl-1 in bad lighting.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:13 PM   #67

Quote:
AWB is not something you want to used, and when shooting video, you should not use auto that is what a pro told me. And it makes sense. How often does auto WB get thing right in tricky situations with photos. Video is 30-60x worst. So you really want to control that. And I believe with even camcorders, they do not change WB while shooting. That is why pro shoots multi angles of the same shot, adjusting WB and exposure between takes.

I seriously would look at the izzy link. It really was informative, and will show you how to take better video. Because there is a ton of bad video on viemo and youtube as people do not know how to set up video shooting.
Yes, that's one of the things I've found - a correct WB is very important.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:15 PM   #68

Quote:
Your shot that you keep posting is address in izzy's website. Harsh lighting that is why you photo capture is os washed.

But I do, the people is very pale in my eye. I looked at it and it is as pale what you pointed to with the epl-1 in bad lighting.
No I did not shoot that one, it was by another EPL1 owner, posted to another popular m4/3 forum.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:18 PM   #69

well that is second hand stuff, and you do not even know the situation that it was shot in. That kinda makes the photo invalid as we have no clue the environment it was shot at or even if it is a epl-1 video capture.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:32 AM   #70

If you want the first hand, check this:

http://www.mu-43.com/f84/commercial-video-quality-3204/
http://www.mu-43.com/f84/