Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:37 AM   #71

There is only one comment. Better lighting may help, pretty much what a pro camera man told me. And over the past 2 month form when you first sited it here. The OP of that thread over there never even provided any info about the shooting conditions or anything.

Now it is completely opposite form what you are saying. There is a post that it underexpose, not overexpose and getting pale.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 13, 2010 at 1:52 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:56 PM   #72

I don't think that I said overexpose or underexpose about that captured photo; I only said it looked as terrible as some of my video.

I was initially very disappointed and frustrated by the video from EPL1, nothing like the PEN commercial. As I said, now I know how to get satisfactory video from EPL1. Everybody can say "good lighting helps", but for EPL1, lighting is relatively not that important compared to WB, MF and IS-off, which you cannot learn from http://www.izzyvideo.com/; you have to dig these details out specifically from EPL1. With EPL1, auto WB and AF can get good or even better video sometimes but not always, no matter how good the lighting is. On the other hand, if these 3 things are done right, you can still get very good video from EPL1 even if lighting is not that great.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 13, 2010 at 3:17 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:32 PM   #73

I am just saying that there is only 1 comment on that issues. And I have not seen it anywhere else. I did not experience the issues you are describing nor any other members here really. I just think learning to shoot video, will resolving a ton of video issues on all the video shearing sites. As bad lighting effects 90% of the video on those sites.

Video is allot harder to shoot right and that is my point. And getting as much of the radicals better in hand helps out a ton.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 14, 2010 at 5:46 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:15 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I think these are all assumptions without any basis to be honest. Some may be correct, some may not be. I don't think there is any fundamental breakdown in connection between panasonic and olympus and vice versa. You present your assumptions without any real backing. Which can be dangerous for people reading. I am pretty sure if these fundamental flaws were really as much fact as you present it as such here, there would be much more talk of this.
Check this review on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2WDFFG...tag=&linkCode=

"Chromatic aberration, on the other hand, is no joke. Point this thing at a tree backed by a light sky and you'll see huge purple fringing towards the corners. Stopping down helps but doesn't get rid of it. I understand that Panasonic bodies automatically compensate for this, but my Olympus surely isn't doing so. "

This review explain in detail how Nikon and Oly deal with CA correction in a different way:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3/D3A4.HTM

"In the case of the Olympus E-1, though, the distortion correction was preprogrammed, based on information communicated from the Olympus Zuiko "digital-specific" lenses to the camera. "

So, the only remaining question is: would panny be so nice to send that CA info to oly? Based on that amazon review, seems not.

This forum has more talk about this topic:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=32900412

Seems EP1 does not do CA correction at all, geo correction only.

I'll do some tests to see if EPL1 does any correction at all.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 14, 2010 at 3:49 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:51 AM   #75

Back to the op's photos. I would love to see more samples of still with the 14-140HD lens. It looks to be a winner. I apologize for the Hijack, it really was unintended.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:22 AM   #76
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
Check this review on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2WDFFG...tag=&linkCode=

"Chromatic aberration, on the other hand, is no joke. Point this thing at a tree backed by a light sky and you'll see huge purple fringing towards the corners. Stopping down helps but doesn't get rid of it. I understand that Panasonic bodies automatically compensate for this, but my Olympus surely isn't doing so. "

This review explain in detail how Nikon and Oly deal with CA correction in a different way:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3/D3A4.HTM

"In the case of the Olympus E-1, though, the distortion correction was preprogrammed, based on information communicated from the Olympus Zuiko "digital-specific" lenses to the camera. "

So, the only remaining question is: would panny be so nice to send that CA info to oly? Based on that amazon review, seems not.

This forum has more talk about this topic:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=32900412

Seems EP1 does not do CA correction at all, geo correction only.

I'll do some tests to see if EPL1 does any correction at all.
that has nothing to do with my post. its a well known fact that the oly's don't correct the lateral CA.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:13 PM   #77

Oly E-1 does CA correction. All I have seen is EP1 does not do for some lenses, not sure about other lenses and I have not found such tests about ep2 and epl1.

I too would like to see more photos from the HD especially compared to the kit lens under the same condition and focal length. I wonder if epl1 will get auto WB correctly from the HD.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:49 PM   #78
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
Oly E-1 does CA correction. All I have seen is EP1 does not do for some lenses, not sure about other lenses and I have not found such tests about ep2 and epl1.

I too would like to see more photos from the HD especially compared to the kit lens under the same condition and focal length. I wonder if epl1 will get auto WB correctly from the HD.
Just to reiterate again in the other post, in case people are not following both threads and they are also interested in this information.

for a Micro 4/3 system. Panasonic bodies correct for both distortion and lateral CA. Olympus bodies correct only the distortion. This is by design decision.

Some people like the CA correction inbody, others prefer to not have it and do it in lightroom etc.