Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:15 AM   #1

Default Another Newbie with some pics

Hi all,

Been hovering around in the shadows reading lots of your posts and other stuff about Pen series and finally took the plunge. Started off with a colleague bringing me back an EPL-1 from B&H in Manhattan, but as that took a couple of weeks to arrive, I got busy on Ebay and have managed to amass a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and the 14-140 HD, and a VF2 viewfinder. So my low cost DSLT alternative has turned in to a 1000 monster

So as far as my very meagre talents tell me I have managed to go from the ridiculous ( 2.1mp early digital camera) to the sublime.

I have put some of my very early shots on flickr here http://www.flickr.com/photos/5434322...th/5033080204/
just by way of saying hello.

Simon

Last edited by 2wheel_simon; Sep 28, 2010 at 7:17 AM.
2wheel_simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:34 AM   #2

Simon,
hello, .....you've done well with the first photos, have fun and post more
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Super Moderator

very nice kit you put together there.

and nice first series. i liked "in the garden" alot, look forward to more, enjoy yourself, i know i enjoy my epl1
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:37 AM   #4

You put together quite a good kit. And you did a very nice job for you opening photos with the epl-1. Do post more. Thanks for shearing.

Have you had the chance to shoot some HD video with the HD lens
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:04 AM   #5

Default HD lens

Sadly not really, that was the plan for this weekend but we have had torrential rain here in England since Friday so I just didn't get out and about.

My plan is/was to take my wife's JVC HM-100 and the EPL-1 out to do a comparative test of Prosumer solid state Camcorder versus mft. My wife runs a videography business making documentaries ... and I had wondered if the EPL1 video capability might be a valuable addition in locations where the JVC struggles without the addition of a major amount of (distracting) video lights.

I did try a very brief (15 secs) test in the office of the HD lens and all I can report is that it is very quiet in operation and would probably be acceptable with a near camera mic. Mind you I would never record sound to this camera as we use lots of other serious audio gear for the video side of my wife's video business. The light levels in my office are very low so the 15 seconds told me what I expected, that with the "slow" Panasonic lens I am going to need good daylight or start lugging lighting gear with me, I have to say I was hoping the size of sensor would allow me some candid (long distance) low light footage I think, as ever, noise will provide plenty of challenges.

So sorry answer is no right now, will be yes as soon as I am able.

S

Last edited by 2wheel_simon; Oct 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM. Reason: Because I can
2wheel_simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:49 AM   #6

EPL1 is not for serious video, GH1 and NEX-5 are the ones. Although possible, but way too difficult to get a satisfactory video, about 1 out of 50 with the kit lens.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 4, 2010 at 12:32 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:10 PM   #7

you really can not say that, the kit lens may not be great for HD, but have you been able to test it with a HD lens. It is just an opinion. Think there is one member that has the epl-1 and 14-140HD lens. Would love to see what his experience are with that lens.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:04 PM   #8

His wife is doing videography as a business. EPL1 records 7:27 single clip only and it won't start automatically another clip. Just for this fact alone, nobody should use it for serious video. And m-jpeg format is simply not for HD.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:26 PM   #9

for the videogaphy as a business, a camera would not be the right tool. The Nex camcorder would be the much better tool for it as it has a stepless aperture and silent motor. The nex 3 or 4 is not a great video camera either as the lenses on it are very poor. The GH1 and GH2 with the HD lens would be a close second to a dedicated HD Camcorder.

The T2i and 5D2 shoots great HD, but after seeing the setup at a live music video shoot with the 5D setup. I would say the Nex camcorder is still the way to go for serious video needs.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:09 PM   #10

I too would love to see some video from EPL1 + Panny HD, because I have not seen any (except a single one - a bird macro that does not say much).

Today I took some more video with both the Vivitar 70-210 and the kit lens. Again, the Vivitar produced beautiful video with incredible colors. That terrible character of kit lens video is still there. You know, in audio the odd harmonic distortion hurts ears; there are some that kind of distortions in the video produced by EPL1+Kit lens, whenever I watch, it really hurts. Human faces look like dead people's. This captured image shows it very well:

http://www.mu-43.com/f84/commercial-video-quality-3204/

So one thing I'm very sure now is: this 12-42 kit lens should not be used for video on EPL1, period. I wonder maybe other Oly lenses have such hurting video character too.