Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:43 PM   #11

Also the olympus has a bit better ibis then the pentax, and having the low light condition, that couple play into why some detail are lost also.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:42 AM   #12

Tullio is a Pentax basher. Check out his posts in the Pentax forum. Maybe Tullio should reshoot the tests and get Pentax shots THAT ARE IN FOCUS. These tests are worse than useless, they are unfair and biased.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Tullio is a Pentax basher. Check out his posts in the Pentax forum. Maybe Tullio should reshoot the tests and get Pentax shots THAT ARE IN FOCUS. These tests are worse than useless, they are unfair and biased.
You don't know what you are talking about. I'm not a Pentax basher at all. My old SLR system was Pentax and the Kx is my second Pentax camera (the reason I sold my K100D was because Pentax messed in the process of cleaning the sensor). If you look at my posts here in the Olympus m4/3 forum you'll see that I had much more negative things to say about the EPL1 than I did about the Kx. In fact, I only posted one thread related to the Kx and that was not really bashing anything (read the whole thing, will you?).

Now, the comparison here had nothing to do with focus but with high ISO performance. I was actually surprised of the results because I've been reading a lot about the Kx high ISO capabilities so I guess I expected more from it. The reason I mentioned the focus point is because people keep saying that not having the focus indicator is really not a biggy and blah blah blah but for me, it is and what I experienced here trying to focus on a black subject in low light just proved I have my own reasons to dislike it.

Now, why are the tests useless and unfair? Because it shows that the Kx under-performs the EPL1 in the high ISO JPEG department? (please explain your accusation)

So, before making such a pathetic accusation, do some research to find out what my posts are all about.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Sep 29, 2010 at 9:34 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The KX is the model where Pentax does not have anything in the finder to denote the focus points, right? If so, that would really bother me, too.
Yes, it is. I knew about it before I order it (but for $436 w/ kit lens I felt I should give it a try). The thing is, it goes beyond the bothering. It can actually impact the photographer. In some cases where the object is dark, you can't see the very fine lines in the viewfinder to assist you. That's OK when the subject is big enough so that the center point is on it. But if you need to focus on a very small area, you may or may not get it right. Adding to that, for being a DSLR, the Kx does not focus that fast in low light either either. But, it works OK for fast moving objects in good lighting conditions.

Quote:
...Shot RAW and procesed manually, I am sure the Pentax images would be pretty darn nice. ....
That may be true but I don't really like to spend too much time processing RAW images. So the better the JPEG engine, the more attractive the camera is to me.

Quote:
I see both sides, use both and would not want to ever give up my DSLR's. The mirrorless system is nice, but needs to get nicer(faster, operationally).
Again, it all depends. My G1 is far from being as fast as the Kx but it's a very reliable camera and what you see is what you get.

Tullio
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:33 AM   #15

I think you are looking for the perfect all in one camera, which does not exist.

The GH1 and GH2 seems to fit you wishes best. Just need to give up on the higher iso shooting. That may be the system that will make you the most happy, I know if I brought something that was really something I did not love. Especially if it lags behind in my main need of low light performance. I might look for reasons to exchange it.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:59 AM   #16

I really like the m4/3 system for its compact size/light weight. However, the system has its limitations. For many people, it suffices. For others, it works best as a complement to a DSLR system. I know very well that the perfect camera does not exists (in fact, I have said this many time on some of my replies). The fact that I have no brand loyalty gives me more options to try out different cameras. I also don't feel I have to struggle in order to justify my purchase and be happy with any particular camera. If the camera has too many annoyances, it goes back. There are way too many options out there to choose from...I don't need to try real hard to make it work for me. Since I usually don't invest heavily on lenses, I'm not bonded to any system. I think the most lenses I've ever had were Zuikos from when I had the E510/E520. Today I have some Canon FD and Pentax PK manual lenses I bought to use with my G1 + the two Lumix kit and the 20mm. The MF lenses were very cheap compared to many new digital lenses. In a away, the fact that I have those PK lenses contributed to my decision to buy the Kx.

Tullio
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:01 AM   #17

But form all you posting, the GH's seems to be really what you want form all your postings. And the other cameras are just settling imho.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:34 AM   #18

Well, yes I've been wanting the GH1 for a while (did not have the $$$ to buy it when it was first released). Even though I think the GH1 is the best m4/3 camera out there, the improvements over the G1 are primarily in the IQ and video departments and not related to fast action or high ISO capabilities. When it comes to photography, I never believed that one size fits all. The appropriate equipment varies according to the conditions and situations. That's one of the reasons I like to try different cameras. When I travel to places I know i won't return any time soon, I take multiple cameras with me. Travel light only applies to short (and somewhat local) trips.

Tullio
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:00 PM   #19

I think the whole thing with the multi camera strategy is that you primary camera needs to be your the camera you absolutely want. That way you have what you want, and the supplemental camera, just fills in the gaps that the primary camera can not support.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:38 PM   #20

True. Right now, the G1 is pretty much my primary camera. Then I have the ZS7 I carry with me all the time and the FZ28 for when I know I'll need the long zoom but do not want to carry the G1 + 45-200mm. I'm thinking about selling the FZ28 as I'm not using it as much. I can put the money toward the 100-300mm.

Tullio