Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:02 AM   #1

Default "Customizing" options for E-PL1 are amazing....

It's never failed to amaze me how many options Olympus has always given users to customize their cameras, from DSLR's to, now, this little E-PL1.

Last night in playing with the various menu options I ran across something I had not seen, simply because I had not gone "deep enough" into the various "cogs" menus.

In the "B" cogs menu there's an AEL/AFL option that, when you choose it gives you several options for handling those two functions in both Single AF, Continuous AF and Manual focus modes. I finally went down to the Manual Focus options and found variation #3 that allows you to activate single AF with whatever button you have designated for AE lock. AE lock then moves to the half press of the shutter release.

I am finding this to be an extremely good way to use my 12-60 f2.8-4 Zuiko on the E-PL1. Manual focus is very easy with this lens with the mechanically-geared focus ring, but having the option of manual focus with the ability to enable single AF on demand simply by pressing the AE lock and being able to lock exposure on the half-press of the shutter release is an extremely convenient way of shooting, giving you two-in-one focus modes.

The mechanically geared focus ring makes it easy to always manually focus, but when AF is also tied to the shutter release you have to use the AF first before overriding. This special setting disengages the two being tied together, giving you both MF or AF in a really easy to do way without having to change something in a menu.

My 12-60 f2.8-4 is now my primary lens on the E-PL1.....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 3, 2010 at 2:03 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Super Moderator

very cool greg, glad you were able to get things customized to your shooting needs
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:47 PM   #3

This is why I, if have a choice, never buy things from big companies like Sony and Panasonic, they don't care this much about their customers. They think they are so big that buyers should thank them instead for whatever you get at a much higher price. Take a look at the "this battery cannot be used ..." in the Panasonic M4/3 forum, see how disgusting Panasonic is. You throw at least $800 to them and they still force you to buy a $5 battery from them for $50.

Olympus's only mistake was the xD card, killed lots of customers including myself.

As you see, the battery icon shows full bars and this non-working battery is powering perfectly the text of "THIS BATTERY CANNOT BE USED".

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ry-gotcha.html

Last edited by sdcs; Sep 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:43 PM   #4

This is the "chipped battery" issue, isn't it?

Thankfully the xd-card went away with these micro bodies and, at last, with the E5.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:58 PM   #5

Yes, chipped everything. I wonder how long Canon will follow this trend if not yet. Canon has added chips into their printer cartridges long ago to hassle home-refill. For a $100 printer and the amount of refills consumed, I can understand somewhat; but for a $800 camera and just two or three $5 batteries in a life, why the hell Panasonic would bother to do that? I wish the Congress get the CEO on trial like they did to Toyota.

Last edited by sdcs; Sep 30, 2010 at 4:04 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:19 AM   #6

Took my E-PL1 and 12-60mm SWD out for a spin this morning before settling down to watch the games this afternoon. Manual focus is quite nice with the very smooth action of the focus ring....which I have never used with this lens on a DSLR...

Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:52 AM   #7

wow, very nicely done for MF.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:06 AM   #8
Super Moderator

looks like a great combination
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:02 PM   #9

Nice shots, Greg. I just wish that the MF assist would deactivate once the shutter is half-pressed. Since I don't have the EVF, I find hard to MF because by the time I move my finger to exit from MF assist, the camera looses the acquired focus since it's impossible to keep your arm extended exactly at that same position.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:15 PM   #10

A few more shots from Sunday at the Dallas Arboretum woth the E-PL1 and 12-60 SWD. This is one of a sharp lens on the E-PL1. I can imagine how good the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD's will be on the E5..