Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:31 PM   #11

Yes I more and more believe it is a firmware issue. For the kit lens, the optimization in FM for stills is done right, but does the opposite with video. I have to decrease exposure down to -0.3, otherwise video is way too horrible under sunlight - no contrast, blurry (especially on some colors), washed out faces and even visible noise! With an old $10 Vivitar 70-210mm, no problem at all, almost perfect video!

I wish there is a way to bypass such "lens optimization", at least for video. Using MF mode instead of AF is somewhat better, overall very random. I'm buying some old small zoom lenses, the Vivitar is too large and heavy and no point to carry the extra length and weight for >100mm (too shaky even with IBIS).

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:12 PM   #12

On page 101 of the manual, there is a chart showing how EPL1 select A and S in P mode. It does mention that this chart varies with different lens. I don't understand what "Program Shift" means, but it seems the shift is quite large - might explain the random video quality I've experienced.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:20 PM   #13

Program Shift means that in P mode, you can change the aperture selected automatically by the camera and the camera will adjust the shutter speed accordingly. This is a very handy feature to have because you don't need to worry about the aperture every time you are shooting, only when you want to affect DoF.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:41 PM   #14
Super Moderator

tullio, can you post some exif-intact examples, i didn't read the original post enough i guess to notice you meant p-mode.

i am surprised the epl1 would choose an aperture and shutter speed combination that did not work.

i have not heard of this problem before with the 20 1.7 in p mode. i am used to ppl complaining about it reaching max aperture shooting wide-open so i just had assumed thats what you meant, but obviously i didnt read carefully enough.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Program Shift means that in P mode, you can change the aperture selected automatically by the camera and the camera will adjust the shutter speed accordingly. This is a very handy feature to have because you don't need to worry about the aperture every time you are shooting, only when you want to affect DoF.
I see. I did see a "s" added to the "P" at the left bottom corner but I never went further to dig into that.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:27 AM   #16

Here you go, Dustin. Both images were shot in P mode. I had already taken one at Ev 0, which I immediately deleted because it was way over exposed. Then I decreased Ev to -0.7 (first image) but that was not enough so I decreased by -1.0 (second image). Although this image is acceptable, there's still a bit of highlight clipping so -1.3 would have been the correct exposure. Both images are straight OOC. Absolutely nothing has been done to them. BTW, I use metering center weight, and since I focused on the statue's face, the camera should have metered based on its brightness.
Attached Images

Tullio
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:53 AM   #17

Did you put the camera into center weight metering or did the camera pick it? The metering is being fooled.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:43 AM   #18

I set all my cameras to center weight and I don't believe any camera will pick the metering mode randomly. The metering mode has to be set by the user.

I don't know if the metering is being fooled or if the camera is not communicating properly with the lens. All other lenses I tried work perfectly (kit, Pana 14-45 and 45-200). Since the 20mm works fine on the G1 and the EPL1 works fine with these other lenses, it makes me believe that the problem is with the 20mm on the EPL1.

Tullio
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:50 AM   #19

I alway use evaluative metering with the 20 1.7 when I shoot outdoors, and do not have issues you have. My results are more like what greg is getting when I do use it outdoors without a nd filter when stopped down.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 2:12 AM   #20
Super Moderator

well this is a tricky scene for any metering given its a white subject in direct sunlight with a shaded area behind it. center weight should have helped a little, but a full spot metering may have been better yet.

i would go ahead and try a few other scenes before trying to decide if the scene was tricking the meter or if it is something in the firmware and connection.