Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:34 PM   #1

Default Lumix 20mm over exposing on EPL1

I'm still trying to decide whether to keep the EPL1 or not (Mon is the deadline for me to send it back to Amazon). I've been playing with it for about a month now and I can't say I'm not impressed by its IQ. I also bought the Lumix 20mm and I noticed that the EPL1 over exposes by over 1.0 with this lens in bright conditions. I'm shooting in P mode, so the camera is dealing with the aperture and shutter values. I took identical shots with my G1 and it metered correctly. I thought there was some firmware update I was missing but there isn't. Both the EPL1 and the 20mm are at the most current level. Any one experiencing similar behavior with this combo?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:44 PM   #2

more detail, what aperture is the camera picking?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:50 PM   #3
Super Moderator

the epl1 has a slower max shutter speed. at 1.7 in bright conditions you could be hitting that pretty easily. you will have to stop down or use a neutral density. pretty common problem with fast primes on the epl1
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:52 PM   #4

even on a dslr with 1/4000 of a sec it can be a problem in bright sunshine with 1.8 lenses wider then 4.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 1, 2010 at 6:44 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:00 PM   #5

I would also check if you are allowing the epl-1 to use the full iso range, if you are set to dynamic the camera will not shoot under 200iso.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:18 PM   #6

There are very few reasons to ever be shooting this lens wide open at f1.7 in daylight if that's the problem. The 20mm focal length means not-really-that-shallow depth of field is possible at normal shooting distances, and the danger of mass overexposure is almost a given UNLESS you invest in a set of neutral density filters and then take the time to use the one that's appropriate for the scene.

I have not used mine a ton outdoors yet, and in the image or two where I have shot it outdoors I used RAW capture, but my processing did not include having to dial anything down to fix any massive exposure errors one way or the other..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:18 AM   #7

I've found EPL1 simply does not like strong light especially on video, I guess this is what you pay for its superior low light performance.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:27 AM   #8

It works well in bright light, it is all about photography and getting your equipment to preform. No clue about the video, but for outdoors in bright light, the 20 1.7 does give some super sharp photos with the epl1.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:54 AM   #9

As I stated, I had the camera in P mode. So, unless the EPL1 has a poor algorithm to select the A/S combination in bright daylight (which I don't believe it does), it should never ever choose f1.7 because that would force the shutter speed to its highest value (1/2000 and if that was not enough, then the image would be way over exposed) and no camera does that. I don't have access to the images from this computer so I can't say exactly what the aperture was but from my recollection, it was something like f5.6. I will post a few images when I have a chance.

I am using dynamic ISO (200-2500) but again, why would the camera select anything but 200 in bright daylight in P mode? I'm sure in this case it chose ISO 200. I should not have to go lower.

Just about every shot taken with the EPL1+20mm of high contrast or bright subjects in bright daylight, I had to reduce the exposure to -1.0 or even -1.3.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Oct 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
I've found EPL1 simply does not like strong light especially on video, I guess this is what you pay for its superior low light performance.
Well, the camera exposes as expected with the kit lens. The interesting thing is, the 20mm on the G1 also performs as expected. So, that made me wonder if there any sort of incompatibility (for lack of better word) between the Oly body and the Pana lens that causes this behavior. I looked for a possible firmware update for either the EPL1 or the 20mm as they relate to each other but found none. I have both the EPL1 and the 20mm at their most current F/w.

Tullio