Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:58 PM   #11

I just bought a Tokina SD SZ-X 270 28-70mm on ebay for virtually nothing ($2.5 + $5 shipping), new in box. It is only 2.6" long, 10 oz, pretty much the same size (adapter together) as the smallest M4/3 zoom lens and even lighter. I'll see how it works, then decide what's the next. 70mm is the longest for shooting handheld video without excessive shaking.

I guess Tullio will keep the EPL1, because I have not seen any photos posted in the Panasonic m4/3 forum that look so good as above.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 3, 2010 at 11:02 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:44 AM   #12

I gave up using MF lenses with cameras like the EP1 and EPL1. Without the EVF, these cameras make the whole experience of using MF lenses a very frustrating one. Not only because the low-res LCD, which does not provide enough resolution for accurate focusing but the implementation of MF assist is a poor one as well.

As for my EPL1, today is the deadline. Either I have to mail it back to Amazon or keep it. It's a real tough decision because despite its annoyances, IQ is impressive. Colors are nice and images are sharp OOC. I still want to take another batch of pictures with the 20mm. Besides the over exposure issue with the 20mm I posted in a another thread, I also noticed poor exposure when flash is used with this lens. So, if I keep the camera, I might end up returning the lens. We'll see.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:48 AM   #13

With a magnifier MF is no longer a problem, not at all.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:24 PM   #14

It would not be if you could manual focus using the MF assist and then half-press the shutter to exit from MF assist, lock AE/AL and shoot. But because you have to press th OK button to exit the MF magnification, you loose your reference point and consequently focus accuracy. Now, I think having the magnifier glass mounted in front of the LCD changes everything since you'll be holding the camera against your eye (just like if it had an EVF).

Tullio
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:44 PM   #15

Another shot using soft focus.
Attached Images

Tullio
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:55 AM   #16

Tullio, two questions: 1) Is C-AF available on EPL1 for this 45-200? 2) Does it get auto WB correctly like the 14-42 kit lens? Thanks.

Another concern is CA. As I said in other threads, CMOS cameras like Nikon, Panny and Oly do CA correction with the reference info from the lens. When you mount a panny lens such as this one on EPL1, then no CA correction. See this review on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2WDFFG...tag=&linkCode=

"Chromatic aberration, on the other hand, is no joke. Point this thing at a tree backed by a light sky and you'll see huge purple fringing towards the corners. Stopping down helps but doesn't get rid of it. I understand that Panasonic bodies automatically compensate for this, but my Olympus surely isn't doing so."

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 14, 2010 at 1:13 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:03 AM   #17

The panny 45-200 on a oly has not issues with PF.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 14, 2010 at 5:11 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:21 AM   #18

Here are some trees with a bright sky
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:02 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post

Another concern is CA. As I said in other threads, CMOS cameras like Nikon, Panny and Oly do CA correction with the reference info from the lens. When you mount a panny lens such as this one on EPL1, then no CA correction. See this review on amazon:
SDCS

the 45-200 does show a moderately heavy CA when not automatically corrected for. this was part of the design since Panny m4/3 bodies correct distortion and CA automatically. Olympus m4/3 bodies correct distortion, but do not correct CA. So when you put the Panny designed for lens on it, you will get some CA.

in real shooting conditions, it does not appear to be a huge problem, and is not something that would impact my buying decision, as it is a minor weakness compared to the many strengths of the lens, namely its quite small and sharp and its very reasonably priced for the performance. not only that, but CA is easily corrected in Lightroom or other image editing programs if its bothersome.

but its up to you as to whether the pros outweigh the cons.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:24 PM   #20

Thanks, now that's clear. Another thing is WB, see how different between Panny 20mm and 45-200mm posted by Turbines:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-compared.html