Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:45 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
Thanks, now that's clear. Another thing is WB, see how different between Panny 20mm and 45-200mm posted by Turbines:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-compared.html
That one is a bit of speculation. White balance can be a sensitive thing, especially indoors, because indoor light is such a mix of light, from lamps and from ambient light through the windows, etc.

to better test that, would have to take many more images throughout different settings. and see if there is any trend that is consistent. is one consistently warmer vs cooler than the other, or is this example just an isolated incident.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:53 PM   #22

This WB stuff is what I'm researching on right now. It affects video hugely.

It was evening, only one light, but only the kit lens got WB right, all other old lenses got yellowish images. If I set the WB profile to match the light, the kit lens still get it about right, but old lenses become too cold (too white, like the 45-200 above).
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:31 PM   #23
Super Moderator

when you add those adapters, white balance can be funny. for your manual lenses indoors, you will have to use a custom white balance and adjust it to your liking. its time consuming, yes.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 5:48 PM   #24

A glassless adapter affects WB?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:09 PM   #25

It might and might not, I have the panasonic 4/3 adapter which is glassless so I can use the zukio 35mm 3.5 macro. And the WB works fine.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:12 PM   #26
Super Moderator

it could just be the yellowing of the coatings or rare earth elements in the older glass.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Tullio, two questions: 1) Is C-AF available on EPL1 for this 45-200? 2) Does it get auto WB correctly like the 14-42 kit lens? Thanks.

Yes and yes. The EPL1 actually performs better with the Pana 14-45mm then with its own kit lens. When the EP1 was released, everybody complained about the slow AF. I bought the body only since I already had the two Pana kit lenses from my G1 and found the EP1 AF to be very fast with them. The Oly lenses are much slower.

I did not notice much CA (if any) at all when using the 45-200mm on the EPL1.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 4:42 AM   #28

If the 14-45 can really do C-AF, it has more use than the 45-200 (45 is too long for every stuff), but the price is the same and I already have a 14-42. Maybe I should do what you suggested: get a GF1, but I'll keep both body and lens for video.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:06 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe I should do what you suggested: get a GF1, but I'll keep both body and lens for video.
with video being such a priority for you. why not just go with the GH1, the price is coming down after they introduced the gh2, and it is still one of the best cameras for video made, and has a great sensor for stills too. and if you find the kit, the 14-140 has the stepless aperture for video.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:25 PM   #30

I would not say the 45-200 is to long for general things, some shoot mainly long lenses.

Quote:
If the 14-45 can really do C-AF, it has more use than the 45-200 (45 is too long for every stuff), but the price is the same and I already have a 14-42. Maybe I should do what you suggested: get a GF1, but I'll keep both body and lens for video.