Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 7, 2010, 1:30 PM   #11

Yeah...I've never attempted continuous AF with my E-PL1 for still shots and wouldn't figure it being that good either to be honest. I'm pretty much locked in to static type subjects with these bodies and have the focus mode set to manual with AF start on the FN button for when I want to use single autofocus.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:33 PM   #12

Just tried continuous AF with my E-PL1 and the 40-150 f4-5.6, using the Olympus MMF-1 adapter. It does NOT work.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:51 PM   #13

Oh no, that's the major thing I want. Thank you, avoid me the trouble.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Just tried continuous AF with my E-PL1 and the 40-150 f4-5.6, using the Olympus MMF-1 adapter. It does NOT work.
I did not think it would. The Oly site does not specifically state that but it does say that those lenses are not build for the speed required by the movie function.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:39 AM   #15

The more I look and read about it, the better I'm liking the 45-200 Lumix lens. A three lens setup of the Olympus 9-18 and Panasonic 20 and 45-200 sounds pretty nice.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I never had the old version of the 14-42 kit lens that came with the EP1/2 but I keep reading that it's a better lens because it has a metal mount vs. the plastic mount of the new lens.
I thought the Micro FourThirds 14-42 was always plastic.

You sure you're not thinking about the regular FourThirds lenses, the old 14-45 vs the 14-42?

In regards to the regular FourThirds kit lenses, while the 14-45 did have a metal mount, as someone who has both I've found in terms of shots (which is where it counts) the 14-42 is slightly better...and the plastic mount hasn't been an issue; in fact I recently replaced my old metal mount 40-150 with the newer plastic mount 40-150 because the new one is lighter and it focuses faster.

As for it being plastic, it's 6 of one and half dozen of the other of plastic shavings vs. metal shavings (if you do a lot of lens changes).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:18 PM   #17

I also prefer plastic, for example, if the adapters for non-m4/3 lenses are made of plastic, far less weight will be added.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
I thought the Micro FourThirds 14-42 was always plastic.
From what I've been reading, the 14-42 kit lens that came with the EP1/EP2 had a metal mount while the EPL1 is plastic. But, as I mentioned, I never had the old kit lens (m4/3 I'm talking here), so I can say this is true or false. I believe shoturtle has the old m4/3 kit and he claims it has a metal mount (can you please confirm that, shoturtle?).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote