Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:36 AM   #1

Default Oly kit 14-42mm - old vs. new

I never had the old version of the 14-42 kit lens that came with the EP1/2 but I keep reading that it's a better lens because it has a metal mount vs. the plastic mount of the new lens. So, the question is, is the old kit lens optically better than the new lens? The mount alone should not be responsible for a change in the lens' performance in terms of IQ (unless, of course, the lens does not mount tightly onto the body due to the cheap mount, which doe not seem to be the case, at least not with my EPL1). So, either the optics are different and the old lens is better or not but in either case, I think we should leave the plastic mount out of the equation when talking about the kit lens in terms of IQ and performance. Your thoughts?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2

The plastic lens mount never hurt the quality of the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses for the DSLR's. To me, it's a non-issue.

It was interesting in noting when I saw a picture of the new micro version of the 40-150 f4-5.6, it looks like it's going to have a metal mount. It also costs right at $300 where the regular 4/3rd's version can be had, brand new, for $112...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Zuiko_ED.html

vs. the micro version..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._ZUIKO_ED.html
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:02 AM   #3

The m4/3 version looks longer as well (perhaps how the photos were taken gives that impression). Still, $300 is a bit too much for this lens. You can get the Pana 45-200mm for less. It's a great lens and has a longer reach.

Tullio
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:03 PM   #4

Even optically the same, the firmware may treat them differently if their S/N are different. Firmware could do a huge difference even for the same lens, at least for video.

This comes to the downside of inteligent or firmware based products: performance could vary big, if something was not written right in FM. EPL1's video perfomance is such a case.

All m4/3 Lenses are longer than their 4/3 brothers, about half inch. With an adapter, they become same long. So the only concern when buy a 4/3 lens is the focusing speed, some say slower.

Unless significantly cheaper, there is no point buying Olympus lens, because video needs ois found in panasonic.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 6, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
Unless significantly cheaper, there is no point buying Olympus lens, because video needs ois found in panasonic.
Well, that depends on the body. The Oly bodies have IBIS, so the lens does not have to have OIS. On the other hand, Panasonic bodies do not have OIS. Therefore, unless the lens has OIS built in, there will be no stabilization. Note that not all Lumix lenses have OIS (the 20mm does not).

Tullio
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:50 AM   #6

Even extended for shooting, the micro version of the 9-18 is significantly smaller than the 4/3rd's version of the same lens.

Whatever the combination of lenses is, in time my plan is to have all dedicated micro lenses. Right now I almost always have a bag that has 1-2 micro lenses and 1-2 4/3rd's lenses and one 4/3rd's adaptor that always is on the lens I don't want to use at any one moment in time. PITA.

The regular 4/3rd's 40-150 focuses relatively fast with the adapter, but I can't imagine any of the DSLR lenses focus as fast on a micro body as those designed with the internal focusing system Olympus has installed in lenses like the 14-150 and 9-18 micro lenses. I assume this will be the same in the new 40-150 and 75-300 micro lenses.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:04 PM   #7

A post on amazon says the 40-150 cannot do C-AF (S-AF only), is that true?
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:23 PM   #8

I have not tried continuous AF with my 4/3rd's 40-150. I'll give it a try this evening and report.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 1:11 PM   #9

According to the Olympus site (see link below), AF-S + MF is recommended for this lens. It does not specifically state that's incompatible with AF-C.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...ducts/epl1/#03

Tullio
Old Oct 7, 2010, 1:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I have not tried continuous AF with my 4/3rd's 40-150. I'll give it a try this evening and report.
I no longer have this lens but if the EPL1 AF system is slow with the 4/3 lens for general focus, I imagine that AF-C will be unacceptable. There is no way the camera will be able to keep a moving object in focus at all times. I do know that the EP1 video worked very smoothly with the Lumix 14-45mm (that's what I had). Maybe the EPL1 will do the same. I'll give it a try.

Tullio