Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Default How's wide angle add-on lens?

So far 14-140 zoom lenses are too expensive to my blood. Oly 40-150mm seems the right one for me (about $100 or less) and people say it's sharper than Panny 45-200.

If I add a .45x wide angle lens such as the following one, will it make the 40-150 to 18-68? Will I lose too much IQ at 40(18)mm?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIDE-ANGLE-LENS-...#ht_4749wt_905
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:48 AM   #2

Add-on's are a crap-shoot. Yes, you will wind up with wider views, but depending on how well the thing is made and coverage, you'll wind up with more or less of a fisheye-look and possibly darkened corners to some degree if you zoom the lens and leave it on. I see no way you would not see image quality affected in a negative way.

Back when I was using my Panasonic FZ50, which has a 35-420mm effective focal length zoom, Panasonic made a wide adapter specifically designed for this lens, the DMW-LW55. It converted the 35mm wide end of the zoom to a 24mm wide angle that was really good. PTLens even has a profile to correct what distortion the combination gave. The LW55 conversion lens was specifically meant to ONLY be used at the widest, 35mm focal length setting of that zoom lens. If you left it on and tried zooming the lens, the effect really degraded image quality and the corners started darkening badly.

To me, these type third-party, designed-for-nothing-specifically adapters are a last-resort. I did own the DMW-LW55 and, used as it was designed to be used with that camera and lens, it was great.

the Olympus 40-150 is a very nice lens, but it is also only around a $120 lens brand-new, so you should not expect the highest level of unit to unit quality control. If you buy one, check it out thoroughly and return it for an exchange if you find anything wrong. The 40-150 kit lens that came with my E510 2-3 years ago was never used for a long while. When I finally did start using it with my E620 first and, now, my E-PL1, I noted some severe softening on one side of the frame when zoomed out to the 140-150mm range that really has put me off on the one I have. It's almost certainly a decentering issue that's only bad enough to be noticeable at the higher magnification of the 140-150mm range. Otherwise, it is an extremely sharp lens.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
So far 14-140 zoom lenses are too expensive to my blood. Oly 40-150mm seems the right one for me (about $100 or less) and people say it's sharper than Panny 45-200.
I had the 40-150mm when I had my E510/520 and did not like it. The lens was sharp but the coating is poor and it over exposed very easily. Then I bought the old 40-150mm, which was the kit lens up to the E500. That one was an excellent lens, but much bigger and heavier. If you already have the 4/3 adapter, then the 40-150mm may be a good compromise (money wise because in terms of performance, not only the 45-200mm offers a longer reach, it is a better lens).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4

Thanks. The wide angle seller does claim that it is specially for the 14-45 and 40-150 only.

I understand this: "The lens was sharp but...it over exposed very easily", I notice the same thing with the kit lens, especially on video, and really don't like it.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 1:14 PM   #5

I don't know about video since I haven't tried it. In general, the EPL1 kit lens is decent but cheaply made. The Lumix 14-45mm is far superior.

Tullio
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:46 PM   #6

...and now Panasonic has gone and replaced it with a cheaper 14-42 kit lens that has Panny users souring the earth to pick up what 14-45 lenses can still be found.

I have a major car servicing coming up. As soon as I get that behind me, I'll be loading up to buy the 14-150 to replace the 14-42 Olympus...which is a pretty good little lens from an image quality standpoint, but it is a cheapie in terms of build quality alright.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:06 PM   #7

For those who want the 14-45mm, the best thing is to look for a G1 kit and then sell the body keeping the lens. I think you come up ahead by doing that.

Tullio
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:21 PM   #8

I'd be afraid I would want to keep the GF1, to!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:32 AM   #9

Well, the GF1 kit is much more expensive than the G1. It's a nice camera but I dislike the fact that it does not have IBIS, so when you use it with MF lenses, you have no stabilization. Not good.

Tullio
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:32 AM   #10

First off, your lens isn't designed to have much weight on the end of it. Most lenses today are snap-together, so any weight on the end that gets bumped could cause the lens to come apart.

Stay away from any lens that's described on the barrel as "high definition" or "pro"...these lenses are usually garbage as a good lens doesn't need to tell the user it's a good lens...only the bad lenses do.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote