Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:04 PM   #1

Default Vivitar Series 1 28-105/2.8-3.8 on EPL1

I was thinking of it as my primary lens, but it turned out to be too long and heavy for that. Even the quite wide range is limited by its closest focus distance at 28mm, 5 feet (ouch!). Macro is only 1:6.8x, useless. It's a raining day, cannot do some series tests to see why people cult this lens.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 7, 2010 at 6:19 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:37 PM   #2

Not suprised about the size. Those first generation or two of Series One Vivitars are monsters, size and weight-wise.

It's amazing how good the lenses of today are compared to those older designs when it comes to being able to get really close. The 70-300 Zuiko is really quite the lens for the price.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:53 PM   #3

Yeah, other than the size and weight, it IS a versatile lens. Took some video indoor and outdoor and I liked it.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 10:28 AM   #4

Yeah, the one-ring design sure makes zooming and focusing, or refocusing at the same time very easy. Lots of zooms back then had really bad issues with "zoom creep"...point the things up or down and out or in they'd move with no effort. The worst ever was a very popular 80-200mm f4.5 Nikkor, which was an excellent lens and very popular, but I'd bet 99% of them today have zoom mechanisms loose as greazed lightening.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:28 PM   #5

Although large and long, the size is perfect to the hand, feels very good in hand while walking around. So no problem about that. What I really don't like about it is that it is a cold lens, even colder than the kit lens, nothing like the Vivitar 70-210 which always produces warm and pleasing video. Stills are not sharp, quite soft. The only advantage of it is the f2.8 that does get noise down in low light condition.

This is very strange, everybody says the Series 1 is superb, but my slower non-Series 1 (NO.77200689) is better on all aspects except speed. Is it happened to be a bad copy (NO.09020769)? The seller says it is brand new, never used, seems to me to be true. Is the 90's SR1 so much worse than the 70's? Now, I'm looking for the same version of the 70-210 but 28-, then I'll have the perfect lens.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 9, 2010 at 2:01 PM.