Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default EPL1 and Canon FD 50mm 1.4 SSC - Fall shots

Evidently me and Tullio have similar interests in legacy glass. Last night I picked up a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 SSC (version 1) in excellent condition. Had a chance to get a few test shots in this evening between the rain showers.

f1.4

f2.8

f1.4

f2.8

f1.4

f2.8

f1.4

f2.8

f2.8

f1.4

f2.8
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:52 AM   #2

I like the depth to the bokeh, the background is well separated to the far distance.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:56 AM   #3

The third image up close at f1.4 shows the characteristics that'd make this a great portrait lens. Super sharp in the middle with great soft outter areas...I bet you had to shoot Kodachrome or Velvia to get an image as sharp on film as that leaf is in the middle of the frame.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:14 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
I like the depth to the bokeh, the background is well separated to the far distance.
thank you. yea, it was quite easy to get a nice blurred oof area and separation with this lens. that is why i got it, it was a long enough focal length to allow me to work on subject isolation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The third image up close at f1.4 shows the characteristics that'd make this a great portrait lens. Super sharp in the middle with great soft outter areas...I bet you had to shoot Kodachrome or Velvia to get an image as sharp on film as that leaf is in the middle of the frame.
yea greg, i think it will make a great portrait lens. now i just need a cooperative model to try it out on . it does seem to render pleasing contrast and the bokeh is nice especially at f2 and beyond.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:25 AM   #5

Beautifully done, Dustin. My 50mm is a newer model (not SSC) but many people claim that the SSC lenses are sharper. Yours look pretty darn sharp to me. Also, I don't know about you but I think the EPL1 meters very accurately through it. Much better than the Lumix 20mm.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:51 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Tullio. Thanks for the kind words. I have heard that as well that the SSC is sharper, but they are almost identical optical formula (even the EF 50 1.4 maintains this same optic design) and both have the SSC coating, so I can't imagine there would be a huge difference. I had no problems with metering or WB when I was out shooting, i didn't have to add a conistent exposure compensation or anything, just had to adjust it on a few shots that were situation dependent, but not lens dependent.