Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:35 AM   #1

Default Nikkor AF 28-80mm 1:3.3 - 5.6 lens ?

I have a Nikon N80 I purchased in 2002 and haven't used since going digital in 2005. Quick look on EBay show's they aren't worth much at all, which brings me to the lens I have for it.
Nikon AF NIKKOR 28-80mm 1:3.3-5.6 G
Is this lens worth getting an adapter to try on PL1?
What range would it have?
Would AF work or would it be manual only?
Where is the best place to find adapters at a reasonable price?

Have had my E-PL1 for a week now, plan on ordering PT-EP01 UW housing this weekend. This camera is replacing: digital Oly C-7070, C-8080, and Cannon A720IS. 7070 was misplaced on return ride home from Iraq in '07; just sold off 8080 and UW housing two weeks ago, now selling off A720 housings. Been using CHDK hack for RAW availability on A720IS.

So why go from P&S to E-PL1? Great size, large sensor, fast write speeds, fast AF (compared to what I had been using), great UW house availability, terrific JPEG processing so I don't have to tweak in Elements 5.0 (yea, time to upgrade to lastest Elements), manual control is actually easy with buttons when underwater. Next lens I get will be Oly 9-18 plus a ZEN Dome port for housing. I primarily use auto on land and manual UW, but plan on taking some Continueing Ed classes at local community college next semester to learn more about manual on land. When shooting UW, I prefer RAW plus large JPEG be saved. It allows me to tweak RAW if needed, or just use JPEG is it's close.
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:10 AM   #2

I have not kept up over time in terms of the type adapters available. The G-series Nikkors have no aperture ring or ability to manipulate the aperture other than the controls on the camera. Is there a Nikon G to micro 4/3rd's adapter that would allow you to mount your lens and manipulate the aperture and give you a full range of available f-stops, or would you be left shooting wide open all the time?

Canon EF lenses are this way too and I have heard there is such an adapter for Canon lenses, so I assume the same is true for Nikon, and if you want to use your lens, that is what you need to seek out. A plain Nikon F to micro 4/3rd's adapter will leave you shooting wide open only.

You have to multiply the focal lengths by 2x, so using your 28-80 Nikkor on a micro body will be the equivalent of a 56-160mm zoom, so no wide or semi-wide angle coverage. That's why all the "normal" zooms for the 4/3rd's format start in the 12-14mm range, so you will have an equivalent 24-28mm wide end.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:12 AM   #3

m4/3 adapters are cheap these days. However, in this case I don't believe the investment is worth it. The fact that the lens does not have an aperture ring (as Greg mentioned above) is big. Every time you wish to change the aperture to create a shallower or deeper DoF, you'd have to use your Nikon camera to change the lens aperture. Big hassle as you can imagine.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:26 PM   #4

Thanks guys, guess the N80 body and this lens will be headed to EBay.
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:46 AM   #5

Adaptors are cheap?? Was at the Toronto Camera Show this weekend and was quoted a mere $299.99 for the Novoflex Nikkor to m4/3 adaptor. I have seen the in-expensive and mid expensive adaptors on e-bay and then this one from Novoflex so I ask the question "What is the difference in the $200 plus price range between these adaptors (other than the dealer profit)?"
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:20 PM   #6

And the answer was??? These adapters are nothing fancy, no electronics, nothing. As long as the distance between the lens and the sensor is correct for each brand, nothing else matters. I have three different adapters I bought on eBay, all less than $30/ea and they all work just fine.

Tullio
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Super Moderator

yea, i use a cheap Fotodiox FD-M4/3 adapter and it works just fine. I just can't see spending 200$ for metal spacer.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:26 PM   #8

Exactly.

Tullio
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:03 PM   #9

Mine cost $20 and it is metal. I actually wish it is plastic - lighter. The metal one is 3 oz.

It is not worth it to buy an adapter for old lenses that are nothing special. If you already have some good lenses (professional and/or superzoom like 18-200mm) or can get them for really cheap, then it is worth it.

Right now I'm looking for a cheap 18-200mm because the cheapest m4/3 (14-150mm) is $600. I wish 3rd-party manufacturers like Tamron and Tokina make m4/3 lenses; if they don't, they are making a big mistake.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:19 PM   #10
Super Moderator

sdcs
not many choices in superzoom. all of the 18-200 lenses are electronic aperture, so any adapted ones will have to be shot wide open.

you could get the olympus 18-180 for regular 4/3, but by the time you buy the 4/3 - m4/3 adapter, you might as well have got the smaller and wider 14-150, or the video optimized panasonic 14-140.