Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:21 AM   #31

is the lens rated for 1:2 macro. Looks like it does nice close ups
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:45 AM   #32

Nowhere is macro mentioned, only said minimum distance is 0.9m. Based on my test, it is not even 1:4x, but better than 1:6.8x.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:44 AM   #33

At some point Olympus also needs to start looking at lens accessories for micro 4/3rd's, like an extension tube which, for this lens would be perfect. I use my EX25 tube with the 40-150 DSLR lens on my E-PL1 and can get in very, very close. If I were to buy this micro 40-150 I would lose that since. At least, I assume a combination like the E-PL1+MMF-2+EX25+40-150 micro lens will not work.

I know the price we've also seen is excessive, but the new 75-300 micro Zuiko that's about to be released will, based on the specs I have seen, autofocus closer than the 70-300 4/3rd's Digital Zuiko I am using now, and it focuses very, very close. At the price they've listed, the 75-300 needs to do something very well! It looks like closeups might be one thing it works well at.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:00 AM   #34

Greg,

You can actually improve the macro allot with this lens and the panny 45-200mm by adding a canon 500D close up lens. With the 45-200 you can get a 52mm thread version of the 500D, and get about 1:1.1-1:1.5 mag. A 60 dollar add on.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 22, 2010 at 4:12 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:24 AM   #35

Yep, closeup lenses are always an option. I just like the idea of tubes better to keep from adding extra glass.

I don't know if the 500D works like Raynox closeup lenses I have used with a Panasonic FZ50, but with the Raynox closeup lens, you have to be able to get physically very close to the subject no matter the focal length you are shooting with. Once you start backing up to get some distance between you and the subject, focus is impossible.

With the EX25 tube, I can use my 70-300 Zuiko and, at 300mm, be able to shoot a very closeup shot, yet stay back as far as 4-5 feet from the subject, which makes it a great option to get at blooms set back in a bed that you cannot get physically close enough to in order to use the raynox lens, and it allows you to keep your distance from live critters so you don't scare then off while trying to shoot them. That has always been a big difference to me between the closeup lens and an extension tube. The tube is just a better option more times than not for me.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:36 AM   #36

On the 45-200 and on my dslr lens, it decrease the min focus distance a bit, but still gives you about a foot to 2ft of working distance at max zoom. But the tubes do allow for a even longer working distance.

The 500D does a better job on big sensor camera the the raynox. It retains a ton of details, and I did not get the pf in certain situation the raynox had.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:07 PM   #37

Well I don't have a panny 45-200 to compare with, but I have a Tokina 28-70 that, with adapter mounted, is exactly the same weight and length. This 40-150 is MUCH lighter. I think this is the whole and only point of this lens or all oly lenses. Other than that, I'd rather buy an old deadly cheap lens if I don't do video or, if I do, a panny lens.

Before I throw out about $250 or more for a panny lens, the virtually free Tokina 28-70 does a quite decent job for me. 70mm is the maximum for video on epl1 without OIS anyway and MF with it is a joy. It is still a little too heavy to my like, so will be the panny 45-200.

I wish that oly make a new firmware that allows ois for video, then the IBIS will really show its advantage and both the camera and lenses will be selling like hot cakes. Until then oly lenses is a total failure.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:18 PM   #38

I think you get a little carry away just saying oly lenses are a total failure. All the m4/3 lenses do very well for what they are design for in taking photos. And is what a camera is mainly for, hd is just a add on feature. The oly m 9-18mm, it a very good wide angle lens. Just like the 4/3 version. And the kit lens does just as well as all the other kit lenses for dslr. They may not be great video lenses, but they are very good photo lenses.

And no one knows how the oly 75-300 will preform with HD. But should be a good photo lens.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:34 PM   #39

Is video a big selling point for PEN? Otherwise why Oly bothered to do that famous pen commercial with a pen?

I don't think any panny camera owners is interested in an oly lens while we pen owners are at least interested in the 45-200. I sincerely doubt how many lenses oly can sell, especially at current prices.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:39 PM   #40

it is a camera, just showing that it can shoot hd, like the canon commercials, and nikon, and sony.

There is interest in the 9-18 from panny users. As the panny leica is super expensive.