Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:12 PM   #61

OK.....I've got to try this lens myself. Just ordered it from B&H with next day delivery. I'm gonna take it with me this Friday night and check it out at the Dallas Stars NHL hockey game for stills and video. This, the 9-18 and 20/1.7 Panny three lens combination should be just about perfect.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:48 AM   #62

I still don't quite understand why get the 40-150mm instead of the Lumix 45-200mm. If nothing else, one pays more and looses 50mm (actually 100mm) at the long end of the zoom.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:00 PM   #63

Just got to try the Olympus version. If I was really in a pickle for the reach the 45-200 would provide, I already have the Olympus 70-300 4/3rd's lens and the MMF-2 adapter. I also already have the 4/3rd's 9-18 too but dang, the micro version is so much smaller I'm gonna get that one too pretty soon.

I'm also contemplating what I really want/need to keep after assembling this initial all-micro outfit. I could divest myself of a lot of stuff and create a pretty sizeable fund to be used for anything upcoming this next year that looks good. Starting to really like the (much) smaller bag needed for my E-PL1 outfit!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:19 PM   #64

The 40-150 is MUCH lighter than the 45-200; I feel nothing with EPL1 mounted with this lens. So far I like its performance, significantly better stills and video than the kit. The major hassle is: I have to turn on the IS off and on all the time, because for video IS must be off and for stills IS must be on. Don't know what's going on, now I can shoot shake-free video even at 150mm with this lens.

I have no problem to carry epl1 around with this lens mounted all the time, can't say this for the Tokina lens that's the same size and weight as the 45-200.

Now I'm no loner so interested in the 14-140 or 14-150, because they are much slower than 40-150 and 45-200. F# increases very eruptively with the superzoom lens, i.e., much smaller openness at, say, 45mm. When lighting is not enough (such as indoor events), this makes a huge difference on video because shutter speed cannot go lower than 1/30. Not much an issue for stills, just deeper DOF.

It is also faster than the kit lens which is already f:5.6 at 40mm:

FL: 14mm 18mm 25mm 35mm 42mm
F: f:3.5 f:4.0 f:4.5 f5.2 f5.6

The only thing I really hate about this lens is the zoom ring, way too tight. It is absolutely not necessary, because the moving zoom head is plastic, so light, it has no tendency to slide out by itself. None of my heavy metal zoom lenses are this horribly tight. Either a design stupidity or a quality control issue.

Last edited by sdcs; Nov 2, 2010 at 2:49 AM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:21 AM   #65

The extra light weight of the micro version is exactly what I figured was the case. I would figure this lens, combined with the micro 9-18 and the 20/1.7 Panny is about as lightweight an outfit as it gets. You could even "thow in" the 14-42 kit lens with virtually no weight penalty.

Including my FL50R flash in the bag will probably more than double the weight.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:49 AM   #66

Mine just arrived. Very nice!

The zoom ring is a little overtightened compared to the zoom action of the 70-300, which is smooth as butter and actually nicer than th 50-200 SWD, but I think I actually like the "feel" of this lens fine. Getting out and shooting with it will give a better idea. The 50-200's zoom action is a little tight and jerky compared to the 70-300, I believe, because of the water-resistent construction and necessary rubber seals to keep the weather elements out.

I see the optional hood for this lens is the same one used on the 4/3rd's version, so I already have it!

With this first "nicer" Olympus micro lens (compared to the kit 14-42) I have owned, combined with the Panny 20/1.7 and looking at the 14-150 and 9-18 lenses last week have me convinced the much better route with the Pen cameras is in buying these dedicated lenses which, honest, was what I was thinking anyway. As well as the 4/3rd's lenses do, these better-quality, much smaller/lighter micro lenses are the way to go, and I definitely prefer keeping full access to all camera functions vs. using an adapted manual lens.

The AF on this micro 40-150 is deadly silent and fast. More silent than the SWD motor in either my 12-60 or 50-200, which is possibly why the SWD motors will probably never get optimized for micro 4/3rd's. This internal focus action they have come up with seems pretty darn nice. The manual focus action compared to the DSLR version of the 40-150 seems "shorter". I'll check it out closer this evening, but the distance you have to turn the manual focus ring to achieve focus compared to the 4/3rd's 40-150 seems shorter, which is much better.

The four images I fired off just checking it out, including a couple up close at 150mm, look really sharp.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 2, 2010 at 1:30 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:45 PM   #67

Just curious: why you didn't buy it from a bestbuy store but rather pay the overnight shipping?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:02 PM   #68

I have not seen this lens in a local Best Buy yet. The overnight shipping B&H charged ($24) would not have been much different than the sales tax I would have paid buying locally. Rather than Best Buy, if I buy locally I'd rather go through the local Olympus dealer, which is Arlington Camera, and they did not have this lens last Saturday either.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:28 PM   #69

Oh, forgot about tax!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:38 PM   #70

It's overcast and raining today so no outdoor images, but I snapped a few indoors with my E-PL1 and the new 40-150 f4-5.6 M. Zuiko using the FL50R flash and bounce attachment. Seems very sharp.

A floral arrangement, near the closest focus distance and 150mm wide open at f5.6..

and my 20 pound "kitty"..