Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:08 PM   #71

Very nice shots. How's the AF through this lens? I noticed that the 45-200mm some times struggles to focus in good bright light (even though the camera thinks it has focused since it beeps and the green focus box appears). I may be mistaken by it seems like this issue became more evident after I installed f/w 1.2.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:04 PM   #72

Playing with it on the E-PL1 indoors, both at the office and at home this evening, I'm not seeing a lot of hesitating going on, and the focus action is as silent as it can be. Over the next 4-5 days I plan to do a lot of outdoor shooting, weather permitting. This Friday night I'll be taking the E-PL1 and 14-42/40-150 combination to the NHL game here and hope to do some city neon light shooting after the game since the stadium is always in the middle of a lot going on Friday night downtown.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:15 PM   #73

WOW, wordless.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:54 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
The 40-150 is MUCH lighter than the 45-200; I feel nothing with EPL1 mounted with this lens. So far I like its performance, significantly better stills and video than the kit. The major hassle is: I have to turn on the IS off and on all the time, because for video IS must be off and for stills IS must be on.
Not being much of a movie shooter I was reading the manual about movies (page 57, in the "caution" area, 4th bullet point down) and noted the only time you really have to turn the in-camera IS off is when you are using a Panasonic lens with built-in OIS, so I can fully understand having to turn the E-PL1's IS off when using the Panasonic 45-200 with its' OIS on, but the 40-150 Olympus should be fully useable shooting movies with the in-camera IS on.

This mirrors what we 've always been told in shooting stills with Olympus DSLR's and mating one of the (few) Panasonic lenses, like the superb 14-150mm f3.5-5.6 or the 14-50mm f2.8-3.5, both which have built-in OIS. You never want both on at the same time. You either use the lens' OIS or the in-cameras' IS.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:48 AM   #75

No no no, Greg, never turn IS on for video. It is digital not optical when shooting movie. It can only defeat very small shakes; when focal length is 100mm or longer, it cannot do anything good other than warp the image, which cannot be fixed by DeShaker.

Believe me, never turn IBIS on for video. If you'll find that the video you took is too shaky, use DeShaker.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:36 AM   #76

I'll remember that the next time I play with the movie mode and give it a try. "Play" being the right term....I'm just not a movie guy at all.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:59 PM   #77

Excellent shots Greg. (and I see that the giant fat cat still rules your home.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:17 PM   #78

Yes he does. I tricked him into those poses last night by asking hm if he was ready for his dinner. He didn't shut up until he got it.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:44 PM   #79

I updated the first page of this thread to include Greg'a photos and two new video I took comparing this new lens and the kit under the same condition. With very limited lighting, the kit is dark, while the new lens is still extremely sharp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF4Kq9vQaqg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmzp875DwO0
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:13 PM   #80

To be honest, I'm not impressed by most DSLR's video abilities. Focus remains a huge issue. The main subject goes in-out of focus all the time by the slightest movement of the camera (these two videos are a great example of this behavior). I believe P&S cameras can handle videos better, reason why I have never bought a DSLR based on its movie capabilities.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote