Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Hey, Zig! What a time of year to get one with all those beautiful colors popping up there. Still looks like the middle of summer here. That's one beautiful spot.
Thanks Greg,

This IS the perfect time to go out and take a lot of shots with the E-PL1 lots of colors everywhere around here. Trouble is, it ends altogether too soon.
This

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Congrats Zig, If you don't expect the pen to be as fast as an DSLR & use it with in its limits it is a totally capable camera the evf is definitely a must have, to maintain your sanity with this camera. I have adapters for 4/3,canon fd, & pentax screwmount for mine. Shooting old manual lens' is fun & image quality with the right old lens' is surprising decent also. hope you have fun with it.
Charles
Hi Charles,
Funny you bring up the idea of using legacy glass as I thought that as well. my plan is to use the E-PL1 pretty much for static subjects, landscapes, seascapes, etc. The old glass lenses are generally smaller which makes them a good choice (IMHO). And I have a fair number to choose from.

Based on initial impressions of the images I took yesterday. I should have loads of fun with it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
...hey Zig, I'm glad you found the camera, it has got to be a fun one for sure and as Greg said, a beautiful time of year there to learn it.

Recently, I very nearly snapped up a combo including a m4 - 4/3 adapter but the 'want-drive' just wasn't there at the time, but one of these days.........

Enjoy and let's see more nor'easter fall colors.
____
boBB
Hi Bob,
When things calm down at home, you should try and play with one of these at a Best Buy store. It is a marvelous little toy.

Also, think of all the videos you can take of 'Autumn'

Zig

Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
It sounds like you're about even (2 positives against two negatives). I agree with you your initial assessment. The LCD is very SAD (to say the least) and from my experience I'll say it will not be easy for you to get adjusted to it because it is poor and framing a scene in bright daylight is challenging. The kit lens is also of poor build. It produces decent images for what it is but I much prefer the Lumix 14-45mm. Since you already have an Oly gear, it is well worth to get the adapter. Keep in mind that the Pana adapter is cheaper (oly has reduced the price of its adapter but it's still about $40 more) and it works exactly the same. Some people brag about the external EVF, which I'm sure is nice and it I think it drastically improves the user shooting experience. You might want to consider one since you bought the camera at a good price (personally I will not invest another $250 on it, specially because it's unknown whether it will work on future replacement models or not). I also find the Lumix lenses to be much quicker on the EPL1. When I had the EP1, I had bought the Oly 17mm, which I quite like it. In fact, I thought it worked better on the EP1 than the Lumix 20mm on the EPL1 (despite the fact that just about everyone prefers the 20mm). In my experience, the 20mm over exposes very easily when shooting high contrast images making it very difficult to control the highlights.
Hi Tullio,

Thnx for the heads up on the Panny adapter as I'm having difficulty accepting Oly's price for the MMF-2 adapter. As for any new lenses, I think I'll exhaust using my current group of legacy lenses before I plunk down any money for an M43 lens. It's too soon for me to make any rational decision on what I may need. But, I appreciate your assessment of the Oly17mm and the Panny 20mm lenses-good to know.

Zig

Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
Put yourself under control, what a good deal may easily end up into a lot of more money. Except the Panny 45-200, all lenses are over priced, not wise to add. Try my $5 "EVF", it really works and has been attached to my EPL1 ever since. Using old lenses is pretty much the whole point for this camera. Minolta AF SLR lenses (MA mount) are the most ideal among others because they are relatively small and light and allow aperture control. Note there are two adapter versions selling on ebay, both same price but one has a ring for aperture the other has not.
Hi,

Thnx for the heads up on your EVF solution. I'll have to search for it on this site.
Added at 3:46pm: I actually have one of these little magnifiers. Used to use it in my line of work when checking the quality of barcodes. I might try it when I get an adapter.
Thanks for pointing it out.
Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Oct 25, 2010 at 3:48 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:28 PM   #16

sdcs, can you post the link for the "$5 EVF" once again? Thanks.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:10 PM   #17

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...very-well.html
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:54 PM   #18

Thanks.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:22 PM   #19

Congratulations, Zig. I think you'll be pleased with your E-PL1. I certainly liked mine and the only real issue I had with it was the difficulty in using the rear LCD to frame shots in bright sunlight. That made the $259 VF-2 electronic viewfinder a must for me. And if not for the cost of the VF-2, I would have bought another E-PL1 after losing mine.

I think you'll find image quality to be excellent and might not even need to shoot RAW. The jpgs are that good. Just take your time, play with the settings and learn how the camera works. The best of luck to you... your early shots are great!
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Congratulations, Zig. I think you'll be pleased with your E-PL1. I certainly liked mine and the only real issue I had with it was the difficulty in using the rear LCD to frame shots in bright sunlight. That made the $259 VF-2 electronic viewfinder a must for me. And if not for the cost of the VF-2, I would have bought another E-PL1 after losing mine.

I think you'll find image quality to be excellent and might not even need to shoot RAW. The jpgs are that good. Just take your time, play with the settings and learn how the camera works. The best of luck to you... your early shots are great!
Hi Biro,

Thanx. Wouldn't you know, as soon as I get one of these to play with. I've gotten too busy to put any time into familiarizing myself with all the features and operational options. Just as well, as the weather is not cooperating either.

The small number of images taken to this point really reinforce, in my mind, I probably won't be shooting much in RAW with the E-PL1. Having used Olympus' E-30 for some time now, I'm comfortable working with the files and generally avoid RAW. That being said, I wasn't prepared to see just how good the jpegs really are.

I did catch your post that you recently pulled the trigger on the Panny G-1.
Based on that post, I almost did the same. Amazon's wharehouse had 4 used G-1's in stock at a very good price.

In the end, I decided on the E-PL1, largely because of the onboard IS system.
I wish you good fortune with the G-1 and am looking forward to seeing your posts.

Zig