Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:22 PM   #1

Default MF Assist and exposure and shapness

For old MF lenses, if MF assist is active and I press down the shutter button, the exposure and sharpness are very different, see the second shot below. Yes, this is repeatable and I've done it many times to make sure the difference was not caused by other things (such as a cloud passing by at the moment).

I actually much prefer this result to the normal one (1st shot below) which often appears in video.

sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:09 PM   #2

So, let me understand...you activate MF assist (make the image bigger by x times), then you focus, then you shoot w/o exiting from the MF assist magnification and that creates an image that is different in terms of exposure than if you simply manual focus (w/o MF assist) and shoot? It almost sounds like the camera is actually doing SPOT metering due to the magnification...hum, in any case, it's a strange behavior. I'll check it out!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:09 PM   #3

Yes. No problem if: I activated MF assist, made the perfect focusing, then deactivated it by pressing the search/zoom button again before I pressed the shutter button all way down. It happens only if I press the shutter button right in the zoomed view.

This strange behavior brought me into seeking more details about EPL1's wacky exposure system. So far I prefer to use center weighted and -0.3EV to avoid blown highlights/faces especially in video.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
This strange behavior brought me into seeking more details about EPL1's wacky exposure system. So far I prefer to use center weighted and -0.3EV to avoid blown highlights/faces especially in video.
This is the setting that I use (I haven't done video yet) on just about any of my cameras. Very seldom I find a camera that exposes well at Ev 0 and Matrix. Now, as I mentioned, it seems like the EPL1 is metering based on an enlarged image, which is like spot metering but I doubt this is true.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:16 PM   #5

Unfortunately there is no option for metering mode for video and I guess matrix (ESP) is always used, which might be one of the reasons for quite unpredicable video. Before I noticed this strange thing I had already found that -0.3 ev often gives more pleasing video.

It also seems to me that metering is not just about exposure (brighter or darker); it also has an influence on the jpeg and m-jpeg engine. I got this feel because I've seen artifacts such as fog in stills and video.

AF plays a big role in ESP, this might explain why some people including myself have found MF gives generally better and more consistent video quality - one less uncertainty in the chain from subject to (m)jpeg.

Last edited by sdcs; Oct 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM.