Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:18 PM   #11

....you who have the VF-2, do you also have the eye cup, would the eye cup be a need if one wears glasses?

thanks,
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:21 PM   #12

The hood for the 40-150 4/3rd's model is the standard hood for the micro 40-150, and the hood supplied with the 14-42 kit DSLR lens is the listed hood for the 14-150 micro lens, so those two hood are useable on both systems, but the micro 9-18 has its' own dedicated hood you have to first find and then buy it separately and the Panasonic 20/1.7, as far as I can tell, has no hood you can buy that's dedicated for it. Ditto for the Olympus 14-42 micro lens.

The micro 9-18 is absolutely tiny for what it is, and is a gem, construction-wise. Way above the build-quality of the 14-42 kit lens. The barrel slides out from collapsed to shooting position and then back very fluidly and silently. It just "feels" good.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....you who have the VF-2, do you also have the eye cup, would the eye cup be a need if one wears glasses?

thanks,
____
boBB
I don't have the cup yet. Once or twice I have shot into a really bright side-lit sky and did think to myself it would be nice having the eyecup. The relief is very good looking through the finder as-sold. Just as easy to see everything without moving my eye around as the E-1 finder.

Last time I looked the eyecup was not even being sold by B&H. The Olympus online store was about the only place I saw it.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:32 PM   #14

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the VF-2 at Amazon.com. I'm looking forward to getting it as I just received an adapter to be able to mount a Rokkor MD 50mm 1.4 lens on the E-PL1. The few shots I tried in the last hour further convinced me that I really do need the VF-2.

Zig

Thanks for all the input guys.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:42 PM   #15

The extra resolution of the VF-2's screen will be a god-send using an f1.4 lens where being just a little off on the focus is enough to ruin the shot. Manually focusing the Panansonic 20mm f1.7 is quite a view through the VF-2. The clarity is quite stunning. The extra magnification of a 50mm f1.4 should be even better.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Just asking the user community who have had a chance to use the VF-2, what your experience has been and how important the VF-2 is to you.
I haven't heard anyone who has bought the VF-2 say that they did not like the EVF. Personally, I really dislike the EPL1's LCD and I think it's the camera's weakness. However, I find it very hard to justify a $250 investment on an EVF for a $500 camera. I can use that money on another lens (or even a spare body like the G1 if I did not have one). But, that's me.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I haven't heard anyone who has bought the VF-2 say that they did not like the EVF. Personally, I really dislike the EPL1's LCD and I think it's the camera's weakness. However, I find it very hard to justify a $250 investment on an EVF for a $500 camera. I can use that money on another lens (or even a spare body like the G1 if I did not have one). But, that's me.

Hi Tullio,

Your logic is the reason for the question. As I too, had a difficult time pulling the trigger on a VF-2 @ 230.00 when I bought the E-PL1 with lens for $350.00.

In the end, it came down to; do I want to use this camera or not. If the answer was no, I'd have put it on EBay or Craig's List. But, I really do want to keep it due to it's small size & picture quality.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:04 PM   #18

I know exactly what you mean, Zig. When I bought the EPL1, I was not sure I wanted to keep it because of the pathetic LCD and the fact that I already had the G1. However, I like the IQ it produced and, as you mentioned, the small size was a plus. So, I never returned it. However, even though I'm keeping it, I still have a hard time accepting the fact that I not only I need to spend a good chunk of $$$ on the EVF but it will be another piece of equipment I need to carry with me (not to mention the fact that it will increase the size of the camera, almost defeating the whole purpose of having it). So, as long as I use it as a P&S with AF lenses, I'm OK with the LCD. I'll use the GH1 to shoot with MF lenses (that's when you really need the EVF).

Tullio
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:40 PM   #19

I would imagine the EVF's mounted in the Panasonic G1 and G2 cameras makes up a large percentage of the sales price of those bodies as well.

I consider the cost of a separate high quality finder for the E-PL1 the same as one who would justify paying a premium price for the convertable version of any automobile for the added convenience of being able to take the top off when the weather allowed.

There is a convenience in having the camera be as low-profiled as it is without the finder. I have taken my E-PL1 to two college football games, one venue of which last year I was denied entrance carrying an E620 and the 40-150 Zuiko. I had the VF-2 off the camera and in its' pounch in a pants pocket and I had the 40-150 Zuiko in a coat pocket. The kit 14-42 was on the camera and security never once even hesitated in looking at what was hanging off my shoulder.

As bodies are updated, I also ASSUME this finder will remain a viable option for at least the next one or two generations, which would extend the benefit of having bought it when I did. It's hard to imagine in that period of time them being able to substantially improve it enough to warrant replacing it.

Lord knows I've got enough money tied up in a set of Digital Zuikos at home that within the next few years probably will be worthless. Comparatively speaking, the cost of this finder is nothing..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 5, 2010 at 2:25 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
As bodies are updated, I also ASSUME this finder will remain a viable option for at least the next one or two generations, which would extend the benefit of having bought it when I did. It's hard to imagine in that period of time them being able to substantially improve it enough to warrant replacing it.

Lord knows I've got enough money tied up in a set of Digital Zuikos at home that within the next few years probably will be worthless. Comparatively speaking, the cost of this finder is nothing..
One would hope Oly will keep the EVF interface compatible with the VF-2 on the nest generations of the EP series. I'd be real mad if I could not use a $250 piece of equipment on any new model. As for the Zuiko lenses, I don't believe they will be worthless in a few years. Olympus will not ditch the 4/3 system and even if they do, the 4/3 lenses will still be good for the m4/3 (with the adapter). Sure they will loose some value but I don't believe they will go for peanuts.

The thing is, for those who already have all the good lenses (and have the $$$ to spare), then it might make sense to invest on the EVF. I want the 100-300mm and for me that's a better place to put my money into.

Tullio