Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:19 AM   #1

Default The Micro 40-150 f4-5.6 Friday Night NHL Action

From the upper deck, row 1, using the E-PL1. In-camera Fine quality JPEG's. Manual exposure, ISO 2000-2500, some tweeks/cropping (150mm is too short shooting action at the other end of the rink) and a little white balance adjustment. Not perfect, but then again these weren't meant for the morning news sports section, either..

Reverse power play at one on five...

Oopps...

and again...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 6, 2010 at 3:15 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2010, 8:15 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

Considering you took these with the E-PL1, I'd say they are pretty darned nice.

At first, as I was looking at your images, thinking to myself that, while they look good they are not as clean and detailed as some of your other posts. Then, I remembered I was comparing apples and oranges as the others I was thinking of were taken using a slightly more expensive set up.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:00 AM   #3

...well, echoing Zig...... these are pretty darn good for the 'tiny' hardware, light and action movement.

With light and the 70-300 o 50-200 I can see reasonably decent potential for baseball where one anticipates action according to play situation.

BTW, I will call B&H Monday to question will they honor the Olympus 40-150 $100 discount for bundling a 40-150 lens with a PL1 kit purchase. That may be the proverbial 'straw' for my rationalization load....... he he

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...stepl1fall2010

I'm suspecting this is one that needs to be asked for...........
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:21 AM   #4

Right up until the morning I left for work I was still thinking I really wanted to take the E30 and 50-200 SWD. I knew from last year that, where I was sitting, 200mm was really stretching it in terms of covering the opposite end of the rink, 150mm was really not long enough without lots of cropping, and the 50-200, while not as long as the 70-300 allowed much faster shutter speeds at lower, cleaner ISO settings, but in the end the (non-existent) weight of the micro combination won out.

There were spots during the game that I switched to dual JPEG+RAW capture, and I have not yet processed any of the RAW files to compare to the JPEG's, which were shot at the default settings (except for the Large-Fine compression), Standard noise filter. The RAW+JPEG setting slowed down the shot to shot capabilities of the camera by quite a bit, causing a lot of hesitation in the finder while writing the combined file, where the JPEG only setting was a somewhat smoother process, but neither allows the machine gun-like 5 frames per second burst shooting and ability to keep the subject accurately framed while it moves like the E30 does.

I also had the 20mm f1.7 in a coat pocket so, not having a bag on my shoulder, I did not have to stop at any security points going in. I do not think the combined weight of what I had weighed much more than an FL50R flash loaded with batteries. That was nice.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:25 AM   #5

Bob, the offer that includes the 40-150 for $199 does sound pretty darn good. Eventually, I'd hope the 40-150 is around that price anyway. $199 is still quite a bit more than they charge for the 4/3rd's model (B&H has it new for $112), but the micro model is better/nicer feeling than the 40-150 4/3rd's unit I have.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:30 AM   #6

...and the 40-150 4/3 I have is the original 3.5-4.5 from 5-year ago, it is a good one, hardly used and maybe good enough.
____
boBB

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:09 PM   #7

Even if B&H gives you $100 off the 40-150, you're not saving any, because other places are selling E-PL1 + kit for $450 (vs. $600-$50 offered by B&H).
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:14 PM   #8

Great shots, Greg. It looks like a fine lens to me. Unfortunately Amazon does not sell it but eventually it will and then I'll give it a try (even though I already have the 45-200mm).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote