Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:11 PM   #1

Default The VF-2 viewfinder has arrived.

Just got home this evening to find that the VF-2 viewfinder was sitting on my desk waiting for me.

Man, I know that a number of people have commented on how bright this viewfinder is. But, man I didn't have any idea it was this good.
Wish my viewfinder on the E-30 was this large and bright.

I haven't had a chance to do any quick pics with it. But tomorrow morning will be the time I run this through some tests.

I know I complained about the cost of this little. But, after seeing how good this unit is. it doesn't seem so out of line.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:41 PM   #2

Gee, Zig, I keep looking for reasons why I don't need to spend money on a micro Pen, and you are not helping.

Seriously, I'm glad that you like the VF-2. Remember, I'm one of the few who has been looking forward to the 4/3 E series going to the EVF. I liked the EVF and the info that I could overlay on it when I was using my old C8080.

Steve
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Gee, Zig, I keep looking for reasons why I don't need to spend money on a micro Pen, and you are not helping.

Seriously, I'm glad that you like the VF-2. Remember, I'm one of the few who has been looking forward to the 4/3 E series going to the EVF. I liked the EVF and the info that I could overlay on it when I was using my old C8080.

Steve
Hi Steven,

i forgot that the C-series digicams from Olympus used the EVF. I had the C-5060WZ and liked it a lot. I actually don't remember the EFV as being large bright or otherwise. It's been too long a time since I've had it to remember.

I still look at the photos that I took with that little camera. It really was quite a good design.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:19 PM   #4

congrats on the vf-2 people keep trying to say it is over price. But once you use it, it puts all other evf's to shame with the size of the image.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:20 PM   #5

Fantastic, Zig! Told you it was the best EVF I have ever seen. And, like you pointed out in the case of your E-30, it's even better than some optical viewfinders. I just couldn't afford another one right now. We can't wait for your images and further impressions. Enjoy!
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:26 PM   #6

Wait 'till you start manually focusing with it. The 12-60 Zuiko really works well in manual focus mode with single AF start switched to the FN button and the half press just locking exposure.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Wait 'till you start manually focusing with it. The 12-60 Zuiko really works well in manual focus mode with single AF start switched to the FN button and the half press just locking exposure.
I have a Panasonic fourthirds to m43 adapter on order. I'm sure I'll have fun with the 12-60SWD.

I'm really looking forward to getting the adapter as I'm rethinking what lens I might buy next. I'm starting to think that my next lens just might be the 9-18mm for fourthirds and use it with the adapter on the E-PL1. When I review the type of photography I've been doing most these days, it is landscapes and seascapes. This would allow for the lens to be used with both systems.

How do you feel about using the 9-18mm on the E-PL1?

Zig

Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:47 AM   #8

Thanks Shoturtle and Biro

I'm planning on trying out a ROKKOR 50mm F1.4 lens today and hope to post a couple of pics.

Zig

Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:09 AM   #9

Hi Zig, glad you are liking the vf-2 so far, with the manual focus lenses it is a real treat, currently I am using a 28mm,50mm,135mm Canon fd, & pentax 55mm screwmount with my pen & have learned a little trick I first read about on the visual science lab, when focus gets close you see a slight moire type effect on your subject (Kind of looks like tiny diagonal lines running around the edge of your subject) if you need to focus fast without having time to magnify the image this little trick works great. this is better visualized on manual lenses if they are stopped down slightly.
I got the ep-9 eyecup for my vf-2 & it helps in very bright light, I also recently got the 40-150 m. zukio lens & its just as light & sharp as Greg C. described it.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:47 AM   #10

....great to hear Zig and I'm anxious to see some photos.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote