Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
As an FYI, I noticed that KEH has one of the Oly viewfinders in stock in "EX condition for $179. I doubt it will last long at that price.
Wish I had the cash. I'd be all over that.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:22 PM   #12
Super Moderator

gary. just so you are aware, the vf-2 will not mount on ep1, it lacks the accessory port that the ep2 and epl1 have.

Zig, these look great. the auto-mode "tourist-style" worked well. and your compositions were pleasing. very nice combo you have there. they need to make a 12-60 in micro mount for me
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
gary. just so you are aware, the vf-2 will not mount on ep1, it lacks the accessory port that the ep2 and epl1 have.

Zig, these look great. the auto-mode "tourist-style" worked well. and your compositions were pleasing. very nice combo you have there. they need to make a 12-60 in micro mount for me
Well, THAT'S certainly good to know! Thanks, buddy! You saved me a bunch of time, money, and BS.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post

Hi Dustin,
I agree with you regarding the need for a 12-60mm in a micro 43rd's. As much as I love using the 12-60mm on my E-30 and, now, on the E-PL1 It most definitely is sized properly for the E-30.

I'm enjoying the brief time I've had using the four thirds lenses on the E-PL1 but, clearly, it defeats the purpose of having a small camera.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I'm enjoying the brief time I've had using the four thirds lenses on the E-PL1 but, clearly, it defeats the purpose of having a small camera.

Zig
When the day comes that an f2.8-3.5/4 micro Zuiko lens comes along, it will be interesting to see just how much smaller they make it since the image circle has to cover the same area, and a lens of that speed will have heavier elements and be built with better materials, making it heavier by some mutiple over these tiny lenses they currently are making. By the time they get around to it, I may have decided what's available right now is good enough for me.

What I'd really like to see more is a micro-dedicated flash unit with around the same power as an FL50R and a WORKING AF assist light. If Panasonic can put an AF assist light in their G series cameras and Olympus does not want to put one in their bodies, the least they can do is give us a flash with a working AF assist light. Last night I was taking some pictures of my GF's new puppy and her living room (more like a dungeon actually) was too dark. I had to turn on a couple of lights to raise the contrast enough to get the AF to lock on...it was even too dark to manually focus using the 40-150 micro lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:50 AM   #16

Zig those are some great shots, the pen does do pretty good in program & auto. it looks like you are enjoying the vf2. I bought the larger eyecup for mine but am up in the air on whether I like it or not. For shooting into bright light or if the light is coming in from directly right side of me it helps maintain the contrast of the image in the vf2 which is good & why I bought it. however some things I dislike about it is it was hard to install as you have to remove the small rubber ring that is on the diopter adjustment then install the larger eyecup which seems to put a lot of stress on the plastic parts of the vf2. Another thing I am not liking about the larger eyecup is it becomes a large hook ready to help pull the vf2 off the epl-1 when you least expect it. As for battery life with the pen I shot 1,562 jpeg images last night in downtown Pittsburgh during the annual light up night on a single battery, about 500 were with the vf2 the rest were lcd. Unfortunately I made a terrible choice in the lenses I took with me(14-42,&40-150 micros) so I'll be lucky to get 50 keepers out of all that shooting should have just went with the 12-60 for the extra light it would have given me.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:00 AM   #17

Hi Greg,

No doubt that designing a 12-60mm lens in a M43 that would have the same characteristics as the original is no small feat. But, that doesn't stop me from wishing for one. I'm not even sure how much of a demand there would be for that particular focal range-even if Olympus engineers could actually design and build one. But, the 12-60 focal range is particularly useful (to me). I love what I can do with it and were it to be available, It would be on my E-PL1 more than any other lens that I have.

Now, if the size isn't significantly reduced, then it's a no brainer and I'd just live with the one I've got.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Zig those are some great shots, the pen does do pretty good in program & auto. it looks like you are enjoying the vf2. I bought the larger eyecup for mine but am up in the air on whether I like it or not. For shooting into bright light or if the light is coming in from directly right side of me it helps maintain the contrast of the image in the vf2 which is good & why I bought it. however some things I dislike about it is it was hard to install as you have to remove the small rubber ring that is on the diopter adjustment then install the larger eyecup which seems to put a lot of stress on the plastic parts of the vf2. Another thing I am not liking about the larger eyecup is it becomes a large hook ready to help pull the vf2 off the epl-1 when you least expect it. As for battery life with the pen I shot 1,562 jpeg images last night in downtown Pittsburgh during the annual light up night on a single battery, about 500 were with the vf2 the rest were lcd. Unfortunately I made a terrible choice in the lenses I took with me(14-42,&40-150 micros) so I'll be lucky to get 50 keepers out of all that shooting should have just went with the 12-60 for the extra light it would have given me.
Charles
Hi Charles,
Thanks for the heads up on the eye piece. At this point, I think I'm going to hold off getting anything else until I get a better handle as to what I really need.

I just ordered a spare battery and I think that will do it for awhile 'til I try
the ZD 70-300mm lens and the ZD 40-150mm lens and see how those work with the E-PL1.

Sorry to hear that you think you've got so few keepers> But I think I know how you feel. I like the E-PL1. While the 14-42mm lens is okay it doesn't really give me the IQ that I'm accustomed to with the 12-60mm.

Hope you post a few when you have the chance.

Zig

Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:51 PM   #19

....who has used a ZD 14-54 MK-I / PL1 combination, I have the lens and it seems to me that it would be a good hook-up.

_____________________________ and making headway here
Bonnie is aware of my E-PL1 wish, I know because we were chatting while waiting at the hospital today and she said, "....what about the iPAD?" To which I retorted, "Well, I cannot decide which iPAD to get so I'm now thinking that a E-PL1 will be an ok gadget in the meantime, perhaps I will make my iPad decision before Christmas." Bonnie said, "Oh, OK!" HOW 'BOUT THAT, Zig, you've been right all along .... understanding.

Last edited by boBBrennan; Nov 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:43 AM   #20

Awesome shots, Zig. I really regret having sold my Zuiko lenses when I decided to switch to Sony a couple of years ago.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote