Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:40 AM   #1

Default Went for a walk with the E-PL1 today

It's cold and very brisk here this morning. But, the Sun is out so thought I'd take the E-PL1 with the 12-60mm SWD lens and take a walk through the center of the town.

This is the 1st time that I've really tried to use the E-PL1 with the VF-2 and the 12-60mm to take some serious photos outside. Some observations;

The VF-2 is remarkable in it's ability to show exactly what it is "seeing" It's extremely bright but you can see the entire frame. Unlike the LCD it worked very well in bright sunlight. So much easier to frame a shot.

Whatever the Oly engineers did to the E-PL1's processor, engine, and aliasing filter, really works to capture the detail that, up to now, had been lost in harsh sunlight. For the most part, these are ooc jpegs with some cropping done to suit my eye. The only image I worked on to bring back some detail in ACR is the photo of the Church. I used the fill light slider to lighten up the foreground as it was too dark.

The weight, size, of this combination is rather comfortable for me to walk around with. At first, I thought the large lens coupled to this small body would be awkward. Bu, it works well and cradles well in my hands - which are large.

By the way, the colors are as they came out of the camera.

Heres a few pics:
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:42 AM   #2

A couple more:
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:22 AM   #3

Excellent shots, I'm impressed with your results and your observations. Do you have a feeling for how long the battery lasts for a day out shooting?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Excellent shots, I'm impressed with your results and your observations. Do you have a feeling for how long the battery lasts for a day out shooting?
Hi Steven,

That is a good question, the answer to which I do not have. But, I really need to get a spare battery as, my belief, is that the power consumption increases dramatically every time you use the VF-2 finder. Also, I don't know about you, but I have a habit of reviewing all my photos as soon as I take them. Which means more power consumption.

One point I omitted from my original post that needs mentioning; that all the shots were taken with the E-PL1 in auto mode. I just wanted to see what would my results be if I just walked around as a tourist casually taking photographs of different sights. Other than think about the framing and composition, I let the camera control all the functions. With that in mind, I'm very happy with the results.

Amazon is selling these now at $450 with the 14-42mm lens. An amazing good deal when considering the results.
Zig

Zig

Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:59 AM   #5

In a word... WOW! In two words... WOW WOW!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Depend on how much chimping along the way you do.

The best performance I get out of one battery is over a relatively short time frame of intense shooting, like the two hockey games I recently attended and use my E-PL1/VF-2 and 40-150 Zuiko. In both cases, over the 2 or so hours of the game, I was able to shoot something over 300 images on one battery charge. During the first game the battery pooped out the last few minutes of the game and I went to a second I was carrying. The second game I did not have to go to the second battery.

If I were to take my E-PL1 on a trip, I would want to have three charged batteries at the start of each day, recharging the spent cells each evening. The VF-2 definitely draws on the power.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:07 PM   #7

you live in a beautiful area!!
sbamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:12 PM   #8

Were you manually focusing Zig, or using the AF system? It's amazing how easy that lens is to manually focus using the VF-2, and the AF action is not that bad at all.

The one tree with the orange and gold leaves you shot is really pretty.

As I frame an image, one thing I will often do with the E-PL1 is just slightly move it around to see how the various light levels change in reference to one another. Spot metering in particular is VERY effective using live view and the VF-2. Once you see the look you want, simply lock the exposure and recompose. Sure beats the heck out of shooting something 3-4 times in order to get the exposure right using an optical finder. It would have been very easy shooting that image of the leaves under water with a DSLR, blowing the highlights and having to re-shoot it 2-3 more times where the live view lets you get it right the first time.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 19, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:43 PM   #9

Hi All,
Thanks for all your kind words ..much appreciated.

Greg,

That pretty tree you mentioned is what prompted me to go out this morning as I had driven by it on my way to a friend's home. I was angry with myself for not having the camera bag in the car. (I pretty much keep the kit bag in my car no matter where I go)

I really let the camera do the work on this series of images. I set the mode to auto, with auto focus, white balance etc. The only adjustment I made was to set the focus point to single center point.

I wanted to take photos without the fuss, settings changes, white balance adjustments et all. I was really pleasantly surprised how accurately the camera meters. I also didn't adjust the white balance and my results were pretty darned accurate.

What is really great about the E-PL1 is that I can comfortably go on a trip with a kit consisting of this body, the 14-42mm lens, a perhaps a 40-150 Micro ZD lens, the VF-2, a couple of extra batteries. That will be a huge reduction in size as compared to what I'd lug around if I took the E-30.

And, I don't think I'd be losing anything in term of image quality.

Zig

Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:48 PM   #10

As an FYI, I noticed that KEH has one of the Oly viewfinders in stock in "EX condition for $179. I doubt it will last long at that price.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote