Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:23 AM   #1

Default 4/3 40-150 vs. m4/3 40-150

I see some great results from the new m4/3 40-150mm lens and was thinking about getting myself one. My question is, how much better is it in terms of optics, sharpness, AF, etc., compared to the 4/3 40-150mm? Amazon has a great deal on the 4/3 version of this lens + Oly adapter. Not only the combo is $100 cheaper than the m4/3 alone but the adapter will allow me to use other great Zuiko 4/3 lenses going forward. However, if the difference is significant (in favor of the m4/3 version), then it's pointless to get the old lens. I can save some $$ by buying the adapter alone (if I really want to get soime 4/3 lenses in the future).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:26 AM   #2

From the mu43 forum. It is a very good optically lens, seems to be about the same as the 4/3 version. But focus much quicker on m4/3
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:05 PM   #3

Shoturtle nailed it.

The 4/3rd's adapter is a good thing to have anyway as I like to use my 12-60, 70-300 and EX25 tube on my E-PL1 and you've got to have the adapter to use any of those, but if you want the fastest AF possible, and want not only the best but also quiet AF for videos (I never shoot videos), the micro 4/3rd's version of the 40-150 is what you want.

I never could have used my E-PL1 to shoot the NHL game images I have shot using the 4/3rd's 40-150 with the adapter tube. AF is simply too slow for anything moving, but the micro 40-150 easily keeps up with the action.

If you get a good example of both, I do not think optically there's much to choose between the two. My 4/3rd's version has a decentering issue, while the micro model seems perfect and is much, much better at the long end. I do think the build quality of the micro model is slightly better.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:34 PM   #4

Hi Tullio,

I'm glad you asked the question as I had the same question. I already have the Panny 43 to m43 adapter, which by the way works fine and is a bit cheaper than the Oly version. And I already had the 43 version of the 40-150mm lens
(the older version). But, I still would like a relatively long zoom m43 lens due to the smaller size. The fact that it's faster to focus and quieter makes it a compelling choice.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Tullio,
...I already have the Panny 43 to m43 adapter, which by the way works fine and is a bit cheaper than the Oly version. ...
Yes, the Pana is cheaper but the Oly combo makes it a better deal. When sold individually (old 40-150 and adapter), each item costs about $135 on Amazon (sure I can probably get the lens cheaper on eBay but I don't trust eBay) whilst the combo is $203. So, about $100 a piece...not bad.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote