Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:46 PM   #11

Which 50mm F1.4 Rokkor is it?
Early MC Rokkor with the knurled metal focusing ring? Or the later MC Rokkor with rubber? Or the later MD Rokkor??

Many, many of the range old Minolta MC & MD Rokkor lenses are outstanding. Possibly my sharpest faster lens of any description is the MD Rokkor 85mm F2.... it's incredibly sharp wide open. Another very, very good one is the 58mm F1.4 MC Rokkor.

And Rokkor lenses are also "under the radar", unlike Takumar, Olympus OM, Nikon, etc. So you can pick them up cheaply!!!
I find that the MC & MD Rokkor 50mm F1.4 are better than the Olympus OM 50mm F1.4, so the Rokkors offer great value.

I bought the MD Rokkor 85mm F2 for under $15 (equivalent in Japan)

Last edited by dnas; Nov 29, 2010 at 5:50 PM.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Which 50mm F1.4 Rokkor is it?
Early MC Rokkor with the knurled metal focusing ring? Or the later MC Rokkor with rubber? Or the later MD Rokkor??

Many, many of the range old Minolta MC & MD Rokkor lenses are outstanding. Possibly my sharpest faster lens of any description is the MD Rokkor 85mm F2.... it's incredibly sharp wide open. Another very, very good one is the 58mm F1.4 MC Rokkor.

And Rokkor lenses are also "under the radar", unlike Takumar, Olympus OM, Nikon, etc. So you can pick them up cheaply!!!
I find that the MC & MD Rokkor 50mm F1.4 are better than the Olympus OM 50mm F1.4, so the Rokkors offer great value.

I bought the MD Rokkor 85mm F2 for under $15 (equivalent in Japan)

Hi,

Based on your description of each, I have the latter version Rokkor MD 50mm 1.4. I agree with you that most people, when evaluating older lenses tend to overlook the Rokkor series of lenses. I don't typically shoot with older glass, but the results you can get from some of the older lenses such as the 50mm 1.4, and your 85mm f2 really are quite special and not easily reproduced with modern lenses.

Another Rokkor lens that I would someday like to get is the 85mm f2.8
Varisoft. Based on what I've seen on the internet, this is a lens that can produce outstanding portraits.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

Based on your description of each, I have the latter version Rokkor MD 50mm 1.4. I agree with you that most people, when evaluating older lenses tend to overlook the Rokkor series of lenses. I don't typically shoot with older glass, but the results you can get from some of the older lenses such as the 50mm 1.4, and your 85mm f2 really are quite special and not easily reproduced with modern lenses.

Another Rokkor lens that I would someday like to get is the 85mm f2.8
Varisoft. Based on what I've seen on the internet, this is a lens that can produce outstanding portraits.

Zig
Here's a comparison of 4 Rokkor 85mm lenses:

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/85mm%20Page%201.htm
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:41 AM   #14

I kept, it seemed like forever, an issue of Popular Photography from back in 1987, primary for an article on classic rangefinders, but there was also an article on the soft focus options of the day, one of which was this 85mm Rokkor. It was, by far, the most complex of the ones reviewed. I always thought back then the Minolta X700 was a great camera and often considered picking one up along with 2-3 prime Rokkors, but never did.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I kept, it seemed like forever, an issue of Popular Photography from back in 1987, primary for an article on classic rangefinders, but there was also an article on the soft focus options of the day, one of which was this 85mm Rokkor. It was, by far, the most complex of the ones reviewed. I always thought back then the Minolta X700 was a great camera and often considered picking one up along with 2-3 prime Rokkors, but never did.
Hi Greg,

Small world as I got a call last week from a good friend of mine who I've been helping to get accustomed to using a new digital slr camera that he bought. He was cleaning out his attic and closets and wanted to know if I had any interest in his old Minolta 35mm slr camera- it was the Minolta x700.

I told him that I would love to have it and would hold it for him should he ever decide to go back to film. Having the 50mm 1.4Rokkor tells me that I'm most likely to give the combination a try.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:57 PM   #16
Super Moderator

excellent series Zig. very sharp great colors.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
excellent series Zig. very sharp great colors.
Thanks Dustin,

One of the things that I like most about this camera is how true the colors tend to be straight out. I like to mess with colors when I'm post processing an image file. So far, with the E-PL1, I've not had the need.

Zig