Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:51 PM   #1

Default E-PL1+12-60mm and Rokkor 50mm1.4 images

Now that Thanksgiving is over and the last of the clan was put on a bus this morning, I got a little free time to mess around with the E-PL1 using both the 12-60mm Olympus lens and old Rokkor 50mm1.4 lens. I took around 20 images
all in natural light, no flash or incandescent light. The E-PL1 was in auto mode with both lenses- the only difference was with the Rokkor, I manually adjusted the aperture. Also used, was the VF-2 EVF. Geez, this little device is great.

Note, these are all pretty much OOC jpegs. I cropped the images and reduced the file size for use on the web. But that's about pretty much it.

The first shot was taken with the 12-60mm @ ISO1000
The 2nd shot was also the 12-60mm @ ISO500
The 3rd shot I took with the Rokkor 50mm1.4 @ ISO1600
The 4th was taken using the Rokkor @ ISO500

Some personal observations; Really like how clean the images are @ 1600 and 1000. The fact that the OOC jpegs continue to need little-if any- post processing is marvelous. The colors are natural, white balance is accurate-not much to do. The out-of-focus area on the 50mm 1.4 Rokkor lens is very pleasing to my eyes. Last, I still have a bit of trouble focusing manual lenses, but getter better at it.

Comments and critiques welcomed
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:05 PM   #2

Those are lovely zig. Considering the season in MA, can we assume these were indoor shots?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Those are lovely zig. Considering the season in MA, can we assume these were indoor shots?
Hi Steven,
Thanks and yes, they were indoors.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:28 PM   #4

Beautiful colors, and yes, great for ISO used. The 12-60 really let's you get in close. You lose some magnification up close due to the internal focusing system, but it's just a great lens for either 4/3rd's or micro 4/3rd's.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:41 AM   #5

very nice detail, both lenses capture allot of fine details.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:01 AM   #6

Zig, excellent shots, I like that first one the best.
I do not know if you have noticed this, but my vf-2 is extremely sensitive to the diopter adjustment, which is most notable when taking manual focus shots the image looks realy sharp when using the magnified view then I take the shot & it is slightly front or back-focused. I use sort of a poor man's calibration to try & eliminate this, I put the camera on a tripod put some thing that has fine detail out on a table for focusing, used the kit lens to auto focus till got the af confirmation light, then set focus to manual(so it doesn't move) & magnified the view. then I adjusted the diopter ring till the magnified view was as sharp as possible to my eye, repeated this a couple of times to make sure it was close as far as I could see. then marked the tick on the diopter adjustment with a pencil till I got used to where it was best at. This helped me out with the manual focus lenses.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:23 AM   #7

Very nice set, Zig...!
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Zig, excellent shots, I like that first one the best.
I do not know if you have noticed this, but my vf-2 is extremely sensitive to the diopter adjustment, which is most notable when taking manual focus shots the image looks realy sharp when using the magnified view then I take the shot & it is slightly front or back-focused. I use sort of a poor man's calibration to try & eliminate this, I put the camera on a tripod put some thing that has fine detail out on a table for focusing, used the kit lens to auto focus till got the af confirmation light, then set focus to manual(so it doesn't move) & magnified the view. then I adjusted the diopter ring till the magnified view was as sharp as possible to my eye, repeated this a couple of times to make sure it was close as far as I could see. then marked the tick on the diopter adjustment with a pencil till I got used to where it was best at. This helped me out with the manual focus lenses.
Charles
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the great suggestion. I'm going to try that this morning as I suspect that this may be contributing to focusing issue. As I do wear glasses, I did adjust the diopter. But I'm not 100% sure that it is correctly adjusted.

Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:53 AM   #9

Thanks all for the kind comments. They are much appreciated.

And yes, Greg, The 12-60mm is a really a great lens. And a great example of the quality that Olympus can achieve with their optics. With the 12-60 and the 50-200, the 35-100mm f2.0 is the only lens that I really would like to add. It's the next lens on my upgrade path-when I hit the lottery
Zig

Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
... The 12-60mm is a really a great lens....
Indeed it is. I don't have it but I've seen some excellent results from it. The Rokkor did a pretty good job also.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote