Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:52 PM   #1

Default E-PL1 only shoots 7minutes of HD?

did i read right? i thought i read somewhere that the e-pl1 only shoots total 7 minutes of HD video. if so why bother adding that function to the camera at all?
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2010, 7:32 AM   #2

I actually forget the exact time it will shoot, but I thought it was 8 min., it has nothing to do with the camera but has everything to do with the limit of the type of file it records in, as this is the max file size for that format irregardless of what camera it is used in. it would take you all of 1/2 sec to push the record button again at the end of the record time to start recording again. 1 thing to note here is short of the big canon's no camera right now has problem free hd video recording. Sony is the worst, as they are having major problems with the sensor overheating after only a few minutes of recording & the camera goes into a safe mode that makes it inoperable until it cools off.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
.... it would take you all of 1/2 sec to push the record button again at the end of the record time to start recording again. ...
The 1/2 second ruins that special video of your kid performing at a school event.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:42 AM   #4

If I remember correctly, when my daughter was performing with her high school marching band, the marching performances at competitions were something like 8 minutes. If video were important to me I be really ticked off if I had to live with a break in each and every performance I recorded.

A dedicated video camera for video purposes, without silly limitations a multi-aspect (primary-stills, secondary-video) device imposes, would be the only way I would go if it really mattered.

No matter how they spin the use these cameras are designed for, micro 4/3rd's cameras are all set up primarilly for stills and secondly for video. Some of the bodies (GH2) incorporate video much better, but still....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:44 AM   #5

Tullio, Murphy's Law would have it happen at the peak of action to. If you are going to be filming extended periods, I do not personally understand why one would just not use a video camera dedicated to that purpose. I have no desire to film anything as I am a hard print person, not even the best hd video can match the resolution of a good print to view in my hands or on a wall, but that's just me.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:05 AM   #6

The right tool for the right job is the best choice. Sometimes though I will use the handle of a screwdriver as a hammer in a pinch.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote