Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Default Got the VF-2...it's...HUGE!

Boy, the VF-2 looks bulky on pictures but in real life...it's really big and bulky. Much more than I expected it to be. So big that the EPL1 will no longer fit in the (already large) camera case I have. Now I really have absolutely no doubt that Oly can make a version of the EPL1 with a BIVF by increasing the body size by less than half of what it is with this beast mounted on top.

OK, aside from its size, the VF-2 is nice and clear and it does make MF a breeze. In low light, it does shown a lot of grain and the image captured has nothing to do with what appears in the EVF. By using the EVF, I'm able to stabilize the camera a lot better when shooting in low light or close ups.

I still think that $250+ is way too much money for this piece of equipment and if I had paid full price I'd probably send it back. However, at $149 ($229 - $80 Xmas gift certificate), it's a keeper.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:25 AM   #2

it comes with a pouch, run the camera strap through the tab and keep the vf-2 in it when not using. It fits in my small camera bags without issues that way.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:49 PM   #3

Tullio,

The more you use the VF-2, the more you will grow to love it. I too, was a bit surprised to see it's size when I first got mine. But, it works so well that I just simply never take it off.

Congrats and have fun.( the cost to you was pretty darn sweet, too)

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:57 PM   #4

It does work real well, particularly with MF lenses. I don't even have to enlarge the image. I'll probably leave it on since I really dislike the low res LCD. Besides, it gives a lot more stability when shooting in low light.

You're right, Zig, I got a sweet deal with the Amazon price drop and the gift cards.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:38 AM   #5

Congratulations... we're glad you like it. Of course, your observations about size are quite correct.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:29 PM   #6

My VF-2 was delivered yesterday... It may be big but that's okay. Much less of a hassle not having to fish around in the jacket pocket looking for my glasses when I want to work on a shot. And the image in the viewfinder is -- Whooha -- do my hands ever shake! Looks like the days of hand held 5 second exposures are truly in the past.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 8:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
My VF-2 was delivered yesterday... It may be big but that's okay. Much less of a hassle not having to fish around in the jacket pocket looking for my glasses when I want to work on a shot. And the image in the viewfinder is -- Whooha -- do my hands ever shake! Looks like the days of hand held 5 second exposures are truly in the past.
Hi,

not sure if you have any intentions of using legacy lenses on your ELP-1 but the VF2 makes manually focusing a snap. I use it a lot with an old Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.4 lens. Prior to getting the VF-2, the lens was a bear to focus-largely due to it's razor thin depth of field. With the VF-2 it is considerably easier to accurately focus.

I also find that I've been using a dslr, equipped with a optical viewfinder, for so long now that I really hate to use the LCD screen to compose and focus a shot. With the Vf-2, I'm back in my comfort zone.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

not sure if you have any intentions of using legacy lenses on your ELP-1 but the VF2 makes manually focusing a snap. I use it a lot with an old Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.4 lens. Prior to getting the VF-2, the lens was a bear to focus-largely due to it's razor thin depth of field. With the VF-2 it is considerably easier to accurately focus.

I also find that I've been using a dslr, equipped with a optical viewfinder, for so long now that I really hate to use the LCD screen to compose and focus a shot. With the Vf-2, I'm back in my comfort zone.

Zig
It has been a while since I really used an optical viewfinder. Then I slipped the VF-2 onto the camera and golly, even better than looking through the photomic F2AS viewfinders of old. And I like being able to flip it up and work the camera like a twin lens reflex. So when you refer to comfort zone, yep, it puts me back into my old working mode. Too bad my hands are not as steady as they once were.

I had been getting a handle on the manual focusing mode, but I had found I was not quite getting the depth of field quite right. So being able to really see things is going to be great.

And yes, I'm going to be using my old nikkors once the adapter arrives. I think it has been shipped by canoe and they are waiting for the ice to melt on the rivers
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote