Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:38 PM   #1

Default EPL-1 performance

I was looking at the "sample photos" for this camera in "Steve's reviews" and was very impressed with the image resolution of the EPL-1. I then checked the same for various 12 MP SLR's from Nikon, Canon, Sony, and Pentax. The EPL-1 blows them all away based on these comparisons. I know what my next purchase is going to be. Is it the sensor, the optics, or both that make this camera out-perform these others that are so highly touted?
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I was looking at the "sample photos" for this camera in "Steve's reviews" and was very impressed with the image resolution of the EPL-1. I then checked the same for various 12 MP SLR's from Nikon, Canon, Sony, and Pentax. The EPL-1 blows them all away based on these comparisons. I know what my next purchase is going to be. Is it the sensor, the optics, or both that make this camera out-perform these others that are so highly touted?
Hi Streets: Everyone may have different opinions, but as a old, (er, make that mature) photographer who has used a lot of equipment over the years, I use Olympus because of the outstanding quality of it's glass, and the well deserved reputation for the "Olympus color" of its digital images.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:35 PM   #3

Hi Streets,

Since I don't own a Nikon, Canon or Sony dslr, I can't really comment on their individual performance. And every camera out there has it's strong points as well as shortcomings.

In the case of the E-PL1, Olympus has finally put a together a camera with outstanding components - an excellent sensor with arguably one the best JPEG engines any Olympus camera has had. The kit lens supplied with E-PL1 while not the fastest focusing ( a weakness) is quite sharp. The result is that the camera can, in auto mode, produce remarkably sharp and detailed images.
If you want to have better control over the settings and use the manual or aperture modes, you'll get even better results.
The E-PL1 is a fine performer in low light situations and produces really good images at high ISO's-not something Olympus has been noted for.

But as I mentioned earlier, every camera has it's shortcomings and where the E-PL1 falls short is:

The LCD screen can be difficult to work in bright light situations. The solution is to use the optional VF-2 EFV- an add'l couple of hundred bucks.

If you're planning on shooting fast moving subjects or birds, sports, etc. I wouldn't recommend it as that really wasn't the design goal. I would look elsewhere as the camera just doesn't focus fast enough IMO.

I love my E-PL1. It is small, unobtrusive and a joy to carry around all day as opposed to lugging around my full size dslr. With the use of the optional VF-2 EFV, I can use older legacy lenses with great results.

As a street and travel camera, shooting landscapes, etc. It is almost perfect and I would highly recommend it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:12 PM   #4

The Pana G1 is still my fav camera but I must admit I quite like the results I get from the EPL1. A few days ago I received the VF-2 and it does make it very easy to use MF lenses with this camera. Despite the fact that the VF2 is bright and improves the shooting experience with the EPL1, it's also quite bulky, which in a way defeats the purpose of having such a compact camera. I think the IQ excellence is a result of the well-developed JPEG engine working in conjunction with a good sensor and decent a decent kit lens. Whatever it is, the camera does outperform many DSLRs and its attractive price makes it difficult not to take it into serious consideration.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote