Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:24 PM   #1

Default A quick shot using the 9-18mm/E-PL1

Well, I got the micro fourthirds 9-18mm ED lens this morning. I haven't had much time to try it out but did manage a couple of quick shots with it on my way to the Town Hall.

I'm going to try and go out later today and take a few more shots. But this is encouraging (to me).

Here is a shot of Scorton Marsh just down the road from my house.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:30 PM   #2
Super Moderator

this one is next on my list.

look forward to seeing more. looks good so far, looks sharp good contrast from the resized photo at least.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:31 PM   #3

Hi Dustin,

Well, I actually hadn't planned on getting the micro version of the 9-18mm ED lens. I had ordered a used 9-18mm ED lens from B&H Photo thinking that is was for the fourthirds format. Instead, this lens came in.

After the initial shock, I'm very happy that this is the lens that I actually received. It is really tiny. just a little bit larger than the 14-42 kit lens.
The lens is made from plastic but build quality is very good. It is exceedingly light, the zoom ring feels well damped- nice and smooth but not too tight.
The time to focus is really much improved over the 14-42mm kit lens. It is significantly faster and I have yet to experience any hunting issues.

Here are a few more images shot late this afternoon. It was very cold today. So, I didn't really spend much time fiddling with the settings. My fingers were frozen after only a few minutes of taking pictures.

The 1st is one that I took at the beach. I thought it might be interesting as the late afternoon rays of the sun were quite strong. The lens and camera didn't seem to have any problems resolving the shadow areas at all.

Next is a series of images all taken at 9mm:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:07 PM   #4

Zig, those are impressive results for a wide angle. Good fortune came out of your mistake, that looks like the lens to keep on most of the time for your E-PL1. Looks like a super landscape lens that will serve you well.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:10 PM   #5

Hi Steven,

Thanks.

I'm hoping that tomorrow will be a bit warmer as I'm anxious to spend a little more time with this combo, out in the field. And you're right, I'm hoping that this lens will end up being the one that stays on the E-PL1 most all of the time.
Up until today, I've had the 12-60mm SWD pretty much glued to it. While the output is outstanding the E-PL1/12-60mm combo is not very well balanced. The E-PL1/9-18mm, on the other hand, is more like it.

zig

Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:37 PM   #6

Default The importance of size

I thought it might be interesting to show the E-PL1 with the 9-18mm micro fourthirds lens as opposed to having the 12-60mm SWD mounted.

Here are a couple of comparison shots.

The first is the E-PL1 with the 9-18 micro mounted. The lens to the right is the 14-42 micro.

This second image is the 12-60mm SWD mounted with the 9-18mm in front for comparison.

Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:36 AM   #7

Zig.....there you go, tempting me again with beautiful photos and interesting hardware shots.

I've a question about the large lenses on the E-PL1. Do you find the weight balance is such that you are 'shooting' the lens, in other words to me it seems the E-PL1 becomes pretty much only a trigger to the lens therefore a mind set to an E-PL1 w/12-60, 50-200, 70-300 etc. presents different awareness to the hardware as opposed to say and E-3/5 or E30 where the camera is the predominate factor in hand holding awareness?

A long sentence, did I make any sense of what I am asking? It is early for me, stayed up late last night playing with computers and iPad, need more doffee.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:46 AM   #8

Although the 12-60 is a great lens, it's kinda big and the adapter adds up to its size. The 9-18mm on the other hand does not seem to be much larger than the kit lens. For me, the ideal lens would be a m4/3 12-60 as I find 12mm to be wide enough for landscape and 60mm to be a decent mid-range zoom.

BTW, your shots with the new lens look very good.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Zig.....there you go, tempting me again with beautiful photos and interesting hardware shots.

I've a question about the large lenses on the E-PL1. Do you find the weight balance is such that you are 'shooting' the lens, in other words to me it seems the E-PL1 becomes pretty much only a trigger to the lens therefore a mind set to an E-PL1 w/12-60, 50-200, 70-300 etc. presents different awareness to the hardware as opposed to say and E-3/5 or E30 where the camera is the predominate factor in hand holding awareness?

A long sentence, did I make any sense of what I am asking? It is early for me, stayed up late last night playing with computers and iPad, need more doffee.
____
boBB
Hi Bob,

You are absolutely correct, a lens as large as the 12-60mm mounted on the E-PL1 becomes the balance point, it also defeats the purpose of the size advantage that the Pen series offers.

What Tullio mentioned in his post would be the ideal solution, in my mind.
Presuming that it would be as sharp as it's big brother, a micro 4/3 12-60mm lens would cover most all of my needs.

The reason I've been using the 12-60mm SWD on the E-PL1 is that it most closely mimics the output of the E-5- on static subjects.

I do also have to admit that I've never been big on the idea of a camera also having the ability to shoot video. But, I've been taking videos of our grandkids using the 12-60 and E-PL1 and it is a whole lot of fun to look at them.
One last point that I should mention, I find that the E-PL1 is the first real camera I've owned where I can set it to "Auto" mode and fire away without any worries that the results will be blown out, underexposed, or some other such disaster. It really is a pleasure to use.

Zig