Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:48 PM   #1

Default Colors samples from the E-PL1

A few flower shots taken over the weekend using the E-PL1 with the 12-60mm SWD lens have reinforced in my mind just how well the sensor and JPEG engine in the E-PL1 work together. The colors that come out of the E-PL1 are very true and need little in the way of adjustment. With the E-30, I find myself being surprised when I do some PP in photoshop CS5 and Adobe's Camera Raw6.3. Whenever I use the Auto button on the White Balance, the software changes the colors almost always and sometimes, rather dramatically.

On the following images of a floral bouquet that my wife got, When I went to PP these and hit the Auto adjust on the White Balance, there was little, if any, adjustment made.

P.S. the 4th image is just me having some fun with photoshop and diffuse glow

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:41 PM   #2

those are stunning!! Is the 70-300 lens I have seen on Amazon a micro 4/3 lens? Will it fit on my EPL1? I know I want either that one or the 45-200, but I want the small ones that are made for my camera.
sbamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbamos View Post
those are stunning!! Is the 70-300 lens I have seen on Amazon a micro 4/3 lens? Will it fit on my EPL1? I know I want either that one or the 45-200, but I want the small ones that are made for my camera.
Currently, Olympus makes a 75-300mm, 40-150mm, 14-150mm, 14-42mm,
9-18mm, and 17mm 2.8prime lens for the microfourthirds format cameras.

The 70-300mm lens is a full size fourthirds lens which would require an adapter in order for it to be used with the E-PL1.

The 45-200mm lens is a micro fourthirds lens made by Panasonic. In addition, they make the following lenses that are compatible without the use of any adapters: 20mm f1.7 prime,14-42mm, 8mm fisheye, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, and the new 100-300mm lens which is not yet in the stores.

The Olympus 75-300mm is a bit pricey at 899.dollars. The Panasonic 100-300mm lens, on the other hand, pricing is 599.00. Not cheap but lower.

The 45-200mm Panasonic and the 40-150mm Olympus lenses are probably the best value as the Panny sells for 258.00USD while the Oly 40-150mm sells for 299.00USD

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:13 AM   #4

Thanks Zig for listing them for me, I was confused about fourthirds and micro fourthirds. I do want to stick with the micro ones, because size was the reason for getting the camera!
sbamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbamos View Post
Thanks Zig for listing them for me, I was confused about fourthirds and micro fourthirds. I do want to stick with the micro ones, because size was the reason for getting the camera!
Trust me, you're not alone...

Zig