Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:53 AM   #1

Default Epl-2 announced.

New epl-2 announced looks like it has some interesting upgrades, link follows.
Charles

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...l2-review.html
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:22 AM   #2

here is a link to the Olympus America website describing the e-pl2.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...plePhotoAlbums
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:29 AM   #3

Good morning Charles,

Just finished reading the press release when I saw your post. This is another step forward in design as there are a number of features that I very much like. I'm also interested in the performance of the new 14-42mm lens as well as the add-on lenses. Those sound interesting to me.

An interesting observation; I post all my photos seen here on Smugmug.com When I look at the statistics data showing how many times the photos have been seen, which galleries are most popular, etc. I've noticed a doubling of the hits that my site has received ever since I've added the E-PL1 gallery.
This month so far, the site has had 1770 hits (first 5days of January) almost 1000 of the hits have been in the E-PL1 gallery. It reinforces the idea that there is so much interest in this camera.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:51 AM   #4

Hi Zig, I am much more interested in this camera than I was with initial e-5 feeling when it was announced, even though if you remember I was one of the early supporters of giving the e-5 a chance. I really would like to see a weather sealed pen, but in all likely hood, I will probably purchase the e-pl2 as soon as I can just because some of the operating features that lacked in the e-pl1 appear to have been addressed. although I had planned to buy an e-5 when they became available, I changed my thinking a little when I got to spend a day with Olan Mills' church directory photogs, the Olan Mills company still to this day uses specially designed e-1's for all their portrait shooting. They use proprietary set-up & editing software & make portraits as large as 40x60 inches from 5 megapixel files, so I figured if they are doing that with the old e-1's, my e-3 is still commercially viable for my portrait customers, & since I have yet to receive any complaints from customers shot with the e-3, I decided to put the e-5 on the back burner.
Although I am pleased with the paper specs I see in the e-pl2, the thing that catches my eye the most is the improved looking grip which is hopefully more usable with larger 4/3'rds lenses than the e-pl1.
Charles

p.s. that is a cool & interesting fact about your website hits.

Last edited by cshanaberger; Jan 6, 2011 at 7:54 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:08 AM   #5

Hi Charles,

Your information regarding Olan Mills is quite intriguing. Would love to know more about that.

The E-PL2, with the larger screen and better defined grip coupled with the new lens are compelling reasons to upgrade (IMO). Still not sure why the camera doesn't have orientation capability???

Although this doesn't fit in the forum, the new Olympus XZ1 compact sounds pretty interesting. AND, it has orientation capability.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusxz1/page3.asp

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:52 AM   #6

not enough to upgrade. The 6400iso is not that great, 1/4000 of a sec shutter could be useful. The lcd is a moot point if you have a vf2. Oly could have done more. A cable release is also nice to have.

But I like the new add on's like the macro light that attach to the accessory socket, not sure I know what to do with the penpal yet, unless they are coming out with a smart phone app that lets you control the camera via bluetooth.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:06 AM   #7

Hi Zig, through a friend that attended the church where the directories were being shot I had the chance to meet the district manager & high up software development guru for Olan Mills last October. I had no idea they used e-1's till I got to the Church. They had Olympus design a e-1 with a rated 350,000 count shutter, it has no card door or battery compartment door, instead has units that plug into the camera that provides A.C. power only & a direct connection to a laptop computer. they use only the 14-54mm mk1 lens the camera also has a direct link to 5 studio lights with a power control panel attached to a huge tripod on wheels. they have a 30ft. coiled shutter release cable that controls a servo that mechanically depresses the shutter. there is no intimacy with the camera as it is strictly hands off shooting. they have very intelligent software that enables them to get pinpoint white balance & exposure out of the e-1. the software also tells which light to adjust where & power setting also. the image editing software is totally automatic taking care of all but the worst cases of blemishes. the whole process from capture to display on another piggybacked computer located behind the photog for the customer to view is less than 20 seconds. the customer has they're pic taken walks back to the salesman at the second computer & places the order for prints which are fulfilled & shipped the same day. those who want more blemish correction done, their files are sent to an off site editing house.
they use no form of adobe products which I was surprised to hear, but reinforced the drive in me to eliminate them from my own work flow.
Although all this was nice to see, one thing lacking from the whole fancy setup was "Creativity", the software is designed around one specific lighting set up, so there is no allowance for creative lighting variation. you get 1 specific style of lighting for individuals, & one specific style for groups & that's it, save changing the background scheme or adding gels to background lights.
Charles
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:45 PM   #8

I think for those looking into buying the EL1, going with the EPL2 makes a lot of sense. The better/larger high res LCD is a big plus over the EPL1. I also like the addition of the wheel, which was one of my fav. things on the EP1. The lens looks smaller and hopefully Oly has resolved the vibration issue that can cause blurriness. The faster shutter speed is also a huge plus and then, of course, the looks. The EPL2 is a handsome camera!

Now, for those of us who already have the EPL1, I think the upgrade will very much depend on $$$. It will be hard for Oly to market the EPL2 much lower than the EPL1 when it was first announced. I can't justify another $600+ investment to upgrade. If the camera had a BI EVF, then it would be a different story. Even though I have the VF2 (and like it), I could still send it back for a refund. I certainly prefer a camera with EVF built in rather than having the huge VF2 sitting on top of it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:12 PM   #9

Default AF Assist, AF Assist, AF Assist....I'll say it again....

Why do they add accessories like that stupid macro dual assist light and not put an AF assist light in the body or give us a micro-specific flash with a working AF assist light is beyond comprehension to me. It's just plain STUPID Olympus has not yet implemented an AF assist light somewhere in the Pen system, which makes me wonder who in holy heck is on the development team for this system. Surely not anyone using these devices to take pictures.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 7, 2011 at 5:15 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:18 PM   #10

How important is the AF Assist? I'm looking to upgrade from a p&s, this camera is definitely one I would be considering. I would mostly be taking pics of kids (fast moving little ones) and vacation stuff. Should I be looking elsewhere? Gh2 perhaps or even DSLR? I'm also surprised there's no AF Assist, but not sure if it's important enough to be a deal breaker.
bbq797 is offline   Reply With Quote