Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:16 AM   #1

Default Canon FD adapter

Hey folks, new member here. I just ordered an e-pl1 today after I discovered there are lens adapters available to mount Canon FD lens to the mico 4/3 camera mount, and I have several Canon lens that I would like to get some use out of. Did some searching on the forum and saw that at least a couple of you are doing this with good results.

A couple questions for you. Does the adapter affect the focal length of the lens? Or maybe a better way to ask the question is, will a 135mm lens on an adapter with the e-pl1 appear to be the same as a 135mm lens on a 35mm film camera? I really have a hard time understading this concept.

Second question is what adapter should I get? I searched eBay and found at least half a dozen brands... all of them were unfamiliar to me. So what should I look be looking for? Like everyone else, I want good quality at a reasonable price. Any suggestions?
454ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:11 PM   #2

The apparent focal length of a lens is determined by the size of the sensor rather than the adapter. Since M4/3 sensors are about 1/2 the size of 35mm film, the lens appears to be twice as long. Therefore a 135mm lens will give the same view as a 270mm on a 35mm camera (assuming film or full frame)

I've got a couple of adapters for OM & Nikon. The OM came from Fotodiox and the Nikon from a no-name chinese ebayer. Not a great deal of difference, but I was impressed with fotodiox's service.
Edit : forgot to say hello!
init6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454ho View Post
Hey folks, new member here. I just ordered an e-pl1 today after I discovered there are lens adapters available to mount Canon FD lens to the mico 4/3 camera mount, and I have several Canon lens that I would like to get some use out of. Did some searching on the forum and saw that at least a couple of you are doing this with good results.

A couple questions for you. Does the adapter affect the focal length of the lens? Or maybe a better way to ask the question is, will a 135mm lens on an adapter with the e-pl1 appear to be the same as a 135mm lens on a 35mm film camera? I really have a hard time understading this concept.

Second question is what adapter should I get? I searched eBay and found at least half a dozen brands... all of them were unfamiliar to me. So what should I look be looking for? Like everyone else, I want good quality at a reasonable price. Any suggestions?

Hello,
As far as adapter suppliers are concerned, I use both the Fotodiox and Rainbow adapters. They can be purchased on EBay. But, frankly, I buy them on Amazon.com. It's easier, faster and more dependable. you should be able to pick one up for 20 to 30 dollars USD.

The Micro fourthirds cameras employ the same size sensors as the fourthirds dslr cameras. They are about 1/2 the size of what a 35mm full frame camera would be. That means a 2times factor. Mounted on an ELP-1, your 135mm lens would give the same field of view as a 270mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:47 PM   #4

Quote:
As the first responder said, you cannot really create a complete set of focal lengths using lenses like the FD system because of the crop factor, making wide angle lenses not-so-wide. 50mm lenses are great because you wind up with an equivalent FOV of a 100mm f1.8 or f2, depending on which 50mm lens you have, but the depth of field is not like using a 100mm lens on your 35mm camera. It's still like using a 50mm lens.

In terms of light transmission (f2 is still f2) and field of view, the 4/3rd's system is great for adapting middle of the road focal length (50-100mm) primes, and if you really want to go long, a lens like the 200mm f2.8 Canon FD will get you a FOV equal to a 400mm lens, but if you're looking for really shallow depth of field, you can certainly get it, but not as easily as you can using the bigger formats.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:10 PM   #5

Okay guys, thanks for the explanation. I did some research on my own today and found this wiki article that helped me to understand. For some reason I always thought it was the distance from the sensor to the lens that was the issue. It never clicked that it was the size of the sensor itself that determined the amount of crop and nothing else. I think I've got it now.

So here is the list of FD lens I have to work with:
28mm f2.8
50mm f1.4
50mm f1.8 S.C.
50mm f3.5 macro
100mm f4 macro
135mm f3.5
200mm f4 S.S.C.
35-105mm f3.5 zoom w/macro
So it seems the 28mm, 50mm and zoom lens will be the most useful??? Are any of you using macro lens?

Also, what would you guys recommend for a true wide angle lens? Primary usage will be interior real estate shots as well as landscapes. Is the micro 9-18mm f4.0-5.6 a good lens for this, or should I think about the 11-22mm f2.8-3.5?

I really appreciate your guidance on this.
454ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Okay guys, thanks for the explanation. I did some research on my own today and found this wiki article that helped me to understand. For some reason I always thought it was the distance from the sensor to the lens that was the issue. It never clicked that it was the size of the sensor itself that determined the amount of crop and nothing else. I think I've got it now.

So here is the list of FD lens I have to work with:
28mm f2.8
50mm f1.4
50mm f1.8 S.C.
50mm f3.5 macro
100mm f4 macro
135mm f3.5
200mm f4 S.S.C.
35-105mm f3.5 zoom w/macro
So it seems the 28mm, 50mm and zoom lens will be the most useful??? Are any of you using macro lens?

Also, what would you guys recommend for a true wide angle lens? Primary usage will be interior real estate shots as well as landscapes. Is the micro 9-18mm f4.0-5.6 a good lens for this, or should I think about the 11-22mm f2.8-3.5?

I really appreciate your guidance on this.

Hi,

As far as flange distance is concerned, there are benefits to having a shorter flange distance on the microfourthirds. It allows the use of manual focus lenses with the FD mount to achieve infinity focus. This is not possible on the 43 cameras.

As for your lens inventory, I would think that the 50mm f1.4 and other primes should work well. I mention the 50mm f1.4 in particular because I use a Rokkor 50mm 1.4 and it delivers a very good out-of-focus background. I would expect the same from yours.

For interior real estate and landscape images, I would recommend the Olympus micro 9-18mm lens. One of the benefits of the micro series of lenses, is that the camera provides lens distortion correction -in body. Another is the fact that the E-PL1 delivers very good images at high ISOs, something that you'll probably encounter with interior shots.

I have the 9-18mm micro lens and love the images it delivers. I provided real estate appraisals for 8years. I wished that I could have had a lens and camera combination as good as this at that time.

FWIW, here is a link to a gallery of images that I've taken with the E-PL1 using a variety lenses, including the 9-18mm lens. It might be of benefit to you.

http://zig123.smugmug.com/Other/Olym...61890418_MDtu2

As for macros, others with a great deal more experience would be better to respond this question.

Zig

One point I neglected to mention; A VF-2 viewfinder, in my opinion, is essential when using manual focus lenses. Your enjoyment in using these lenses will increase dramatically because you'll be able to achieve accurate focus easily.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 29, 2011 at 9:54 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:38 PM   #7

I wouldn't say I was greatly experioenced in Macros, but I recently got a Micro-Nikkor 55mm lens (which is just a little older than me).
I've been really impressed with the seamless way it works on the EPL1 - although I do have a VF1.

Here's one of my first shots with both, so don't be too critical

init6 is offline   Reply With Quote