Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 6, 2011, 3:48 PM   #1

Default A Flower

Not much in the way of activity in this forum, so I thought I'd post a pic taken with the E-PL1
Vignetting done in pp using Adobe's ACR

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:57 AM   #2

I like the flower Zig, especially the colors & lighting, the PP is quite good for me with this combination .... makes me feel good.

True about the sudden inactivity in the forum, I read everything written here and was hoping for more commentary about the PL2. I need to get over to Arlington Camera to 'FEEL' the new camera; hoping it will feel a bit better in my hand, perhaps the grip design is an improvement over the PL1 (for me).

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:07 AM   #3

Good morning Bob,

It is good to see that David has joined the forum with his new E-PL2. I'm hoping that he'll post more pics and observations regarding his new camera E-PL2 as I would like to hear real world perspectives on the performance, feel and image quality of this newest release.

I'm especially interested in getting more info on the 14-42mm MKII lens. It also would be great to get your insights on the E-PL2 after you've had a chance to try it out at Arlington Camera.

And, now that football is finally over, we can start turning our attention to Baseball.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:59 AM   #4

The grip part of the E-PL2 is not an improvement over the E-PL1 other than asthetics. The E-PL2 is a very nice looking, curvy body. Feels very good, but the grip on the E-PL1, while more spartan, is more substantive.

The new 14-42 is on the same level of the micro 40-150 in terms of build-quality and AF speed, which is to say it is very nice. A great pair of lenses to use with the Pen, although I'd be willing to pay much more to have something along the lines of a wider and faster lens like a 12-50 f2.8-4. Hopefully it's not going to be too long before the new 14-42 is released for sale by itself. I do not think too many units would sit around unsold for very long.

I love the vingetting you did on this image, Zig. Which lens did you use with the E-PL1 to capture this?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I love the vingetting you did on this image, Zig. Which lens did you use with the E-PL1 to capture this?
Hi Greg,

I was wondering when or if someone was going to ask that question. It's the 70-300mm fourthirds lens.

I was messing around with floral bouquets that my wife had received and I remembered how much I liked the results the last time I had used the 70-300mm shooting flowers with the E-30. So, I decided to put it on the E-PL1 and give it a go.

I'd say it did okay.

Zig

Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:26 PM   #6

The 70-300 DSLR Zuiko is an excellent lens to use with the E-PL1. I recently went back to several RAW files of closeups I shot using the E-PL1, running them though Viewer 2 now that the program does not crash within 2 minutes of me opening it. Every one of the images I re-processed was shot using the 70-300. It's quite a sharp lens on the Pen, and the VF-2 eyelevel finder makes using it quite easy. For static subject shooting, it is THE lens I prefer to use on my E-PL1 for this subject...

Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:02 PM   #7

Hi Greg,

Based on the samples you've posted, I would have to agree.

I've been trying to find a use for this lens as I really like the output. But my 50-200mm ED is the go to lens for birding. And, the 12-60mm SWD just takes care of the shorter range.

I recently got the Sigma 150mm f2.8 and have been pleased with the results I get. Coupled to an EC-20, gives me a 300mm 5.6 that ends up being sharper in my mind.

Having used it on the E-PL1, I now think that it has found a place in my kit bag when I go to Florida.

Zig

Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:49 PM   #8

.....well, I've got the lens so maybe what I do need is a PL2, although I must finish off my new MAC network first (still a couple pieces to add) for router and system backup changes.

Greg, thanks for the input on the PL2 grip, for whatever I was hoping it to be a bit more hand filling. Still, I am going to check it out and because I don't have a PL1, it only makes sense to go with the PL2 should I decide to buy.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:16 PM   #9

I would agree with that. The E-PL2 is a slick camera. The back rotating dial definitely cuts down on the button pushes to get at certain settings. Still does not have an auto-rotate feature....kind-of a weird feature to reserve for a higher model when it's such a basic thing on virtually any other camera made today. Seems like including that and leaving the digital level off would make more sense.

The problem with going in and looking at these things is, you then have to really talk yourself into not leaving without them! Whatever you do, DO NOT ask them to mount either a micro 9-18 or 14-150 Zuiko on it. You'll be hooked for sure,
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:00 PM   #10

Hi Bob/Greg,

Bob,
I would agree that the camera to look at here is the E-PL2-if only for the faster AF on the 14-42mm MKII lens. Although, the improved LCD screen and button arrangements are nice as well.

And I most definitely agree with Greg, DO NOT mount a 9-18mm lens on it-you'll wont want to leave it there.

Zig