Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 6, 2011, 5:32 PM   #1

Default New E-PL2 Owner and some photos

Hi,

First I want to thank Wes for turning me onto the camera and Zig for helping me pick out the extra lens (40-150). I got it from Olympus and found a 10% off coupon on the net. Here's the code: reg8855 I found ordering from Olympus to be great. The discount code was nice and their shipping charges were cheap compared to what I'm used to paying to Hawaii. I received the day after ordering it. Pretty good!

I'm stoked to have this camera after using a cheap point &shoot for the last few years. This is my first Olympus product and I think they did a great job in making it pretty easy to use for a guy like me.

I'm a novice and don't have a clue about ISO, etc. I've been playing with the settings and took a bunch of photos to see what the different settings would do.

I uploaded the photos here.
https://picasaweb.google.com/superdavehawaii/Picasa?authkey=Gv1sRgCO6Xl8P0iKGjpAE#

In the middle of the group I took some photos of a guy on a stand up paddle board. That set was all done in iAuto with the default settings. I was surprised to see how much the color varried between photos.

Even though the new display is brighter I find it's not ideal in the sun...so I ordered the EVF. At some point I'll get a more powerful zoom since the bay I live on is about 1.75 miles wide. There's a US Marine Base across the bay and a lot of cool stuff happens there...along with all the water activities.

I'd be curious to know what settings you guys like to use for general beach / water shots.

Also, I need an extra battery (BLS-5). The Olympus store is out of stock and it's kind of pricey at $60. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for an alternative.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by Super Dave; Feb 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM. Reason: mistake
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:11 PM   #2

congrats and welcome to micro 4/3. You can actually use the epl-1 battery also. The only difference between the bls-1 and the bls-5 is that one meets the new lithium standards. The bls-5 will also work on my epl-1.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:12 PM   #3

Or ebay, that is where I get my batteries.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-BLS-5-BL...0#ht_568wt_907
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:43 PM   #4

Thank you for the suggestion Shoturtle. That's what I'm looking for. Is that a brand / vendor that you have purchased from before?
Dave
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:49 PM   #5

I brought form this company before. And you get free shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-OLYMPUS-...item4cf4cda01d
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:27 AM   #6

Thank you very much. I'll order one.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:58 AM   #7

Hi David,

Glad to have been of help. And, welcome aboard!

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:50 AM   #8

....hi Dave & congratulations on getting the E-PL2.

I recall your writing previously about living in HI and maybe doing 'water nature' photography. If that is true will you be using the PL2 in a housing and showing us some of that?

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:41 AM   #9

Default Congratulations!

Hi, Dave-
WOW, you moved pretty fast!!! I'm impressed! Congratulations on the camera... I'm glad I could be of some help in pointing you to this format. I'm considering the plunge as well... Thanks for the email pointing me to your post- and nice to see you join here!! It's a great forum, and you can get responses to posts/questions/requests for advice/help quickly here, unlike some forums that are barely on life support!
Look forward to seeing more of your pictures here!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:55 AM   #10

Thanks fellows for the warm welcome.

Bob, that must have been another guy. The Olympus housing is way more than I need since I don't dive. I do a lot of other ocean activiites but it's mostly on top of the water.

I bumped into my neigbor who was sailing this weekend and he showed me his Canon S95 with waterproof housing. That was a sweet set up and still pretty small.
Dave