Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:19 PM   #1

Default Carl Zeiss agrees to make micro43 lenses

If you're interested, here's a link to the Press Release announcing that Carl Zeiss has decided to join microfouthirds and will supply their lenses in that format.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1102/11...fourthirds.asp

This is pretty important news, in my mind, in that it signifies (to me at least) that sales of micro fourthirds cameras are high enough that lens manufacturers want a piece of the action.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Feb 7, 2011 at 3:22 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:37 PM   #2

Default Thanks

This is great news indeed. I took the plunge in getting the EPL1 and even with what has be mentioned as not able to do this or do that. I know it does one heck of a job for what I wanted for. To take a picture. Remote, spinning knob, 1/2000th shutter speed max aren't reasons enough for me to not have one.
The 14-42mm kit lens impresses me enough.

Now with lenses from Zeiss. Wow!
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
This is great news indeed. I took the plunge in getting the EPL1 and even with what has be mentioned as not able to do this or do that. I know it does one heck of a job for what I wanted for. To take a picture. Remote, spinning knob, 1/2000th shutter speed max aren't reasons enough for me to not have one.
The 14-42mm kit lens impresses me enough.

Now with lenses from Zeiss. Wow!
Hi,

I totally agree with your sentiments on the E-PL1. There is no such thing as a perfect camera. But what this little camera can do, it does exceedingly well.

In my opinion, it is an outstanding camera, in that, it takes great photos with a minimum of fuss, user intervention, and frankly concern over wether you're in a high contrast or low light situation. Simply put it in Auto if you don't want to mess with it and fire away.

It will never replace my E-30 dslr. But as a grab a camera and let's go in the city for a day and do some sightseeing, the E-PL1 continues to impress me.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

It will never replace my E-30 dslr. But as a grab a camera and let's go in the city for a day and do some sightseeing, the E-PL1 continues to impress me.

Zig
I'd definitely grab my E-PL1 and 14-42 and 40-150 micro lenses over any point & shoot I have ever owned. Past trips where I left my DSLR at home I sure wish now I had had this camera to take instead. Going forward I will.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:40 PM   #5

To me, it's great news more because it reinforces the success of the format as I most likely won't be able to afford any m4/3 Zeiss lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:13 PM   #6

40% of all sales in Asia is mirror less, and 10% in Europe, and about 8% in the states. It is the hottest thing in the camera biz.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:51 AM   #7

I hope that Zeiss will someday produce lenses like the old ones made in Jena prior to it becoming part of East Germany. Since reunification, they are getting better but not quite there yet. My favorite lens was the Zeiss f2.8 Planar which I had on both a Rollieflex 2.8D and a Graflex XLRF. Older telescopes from Jena are still coveted more than current APO's from Japan.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote