Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:01 PM   #1

Default Need some help quick...

Hi,

I'm going to a night time Mardi Gras parade in a few hours. I'd like to bring the EPL-2 and take some photos of the floats and freaks. I won't have a tripod or external flash...just a good buzz.

Can you guys suggest a simple setting for the camera that will get some decent photos without blurring them too much. Or is that impossible?

Lastly, would I be better off with the 14x40 stock lense or the 40x150 for the night time?

Another options would be a Canon S95. Would that be better for this situation?

Thanks,
Dave
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:05 PM   #2

set it to 1600iso and use aperture mode, and use the widest aperture for the night stuff, unless you have the panasonic 20 1.7 then you can get away with 800 iso at 1.7 for the night stuff.

But stock lens is 35 if you are not zoomed out. And the 40-150 is f4 unzoomed. And if you are shoot in the low light, you really do not want to zoom out. I would use the kit lens and get the 1/2 stop of performance at f3.5
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:26 PM   #3

Cool, thanks. I'll go with the stock lens and give it a shot.
I appreciate the quick reply.
Dave
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:26 PM   #4

my bad typing, leave the lens at 14mm and stop the aperture at 3.5 shoot at 1600 iso. Was not thinking out what I was typing before. Sorry.

Also ev down -1/3 or -2/3 you can recover that in pp, and that will give you a bit more shutter speed to help for motion blur.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 5:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
my bad typing, leave the lens at 14mm and stop the aperture at 3.5 shoot at 1600 iso. Was not thinking out what I was typing before. Sorry.

Also ev down -1/3 or -2/3 you can recover that in pp, and that will give you a bit more shutter speed to help for motion blur.
Yes, and the -1/3 or -2/3 brings up the saturation on night shots as well. (i.e. The highlights will often be overexposed and washed out on night shots, becaue the dark areas are very dark, so backing off the exposure will give the highlights - the lights - extra saturation)
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 5:34 PM   #6

Default Photos

Here's a few photos from the traditional Mardi Gras in Eunice. I much prefer the country Mardi Gras.

https://picasaweb.google.com/superda...OO_3sXE6YrQggE