Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:47 PM   #11

they all are not great. The new lens is a tad better then the older ones. All these lenses need to have correction to be good. No the shot is not praticular sharpe on the corner, and like all the other lens, the corner are soft.

SLRgear said none are really better then the other. With the kit lenses, flip a coin and see which one is more pleasing for you. That is what it really boils down to with these lenses. They need to be corrected. And they all produce very good images. You seem to like the way the color rendition of the panny glass better. It is all personal, the test have show it.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:59 PM   #12

now if you want an improvement, the mkII of the oly lenses have been tested to be even sharper with less CA
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:14 PM   #13

For me, no more oly lens, it's a done deal.

I'm actually deciding if I'd go even further to drop oly body as well. While I love oly's jpeg colors, it's been struggling with focusing for photos and video. Panny's focusing performance has been flawless - indoor, outdoor, high light, low light, stills and movie. If really need better jpegs, I can do raw; but I cannot do anything about oly's focusing performance.

What's even more appealing is the GF2 for its ETC mode. Put a 14mm lens on it, and you have a 14/42 mm f2.5 MFT in your pocket. Nothing can be cooler than that. Or put on a 20mm/f1.7 that everyone already has, you have a 20/62 mm f1.7 with you everywhere you go, no lens swapping hassle. The only downside is you'll live with panny's jpeg engine because ETC mode is not available for raw.

Last edited by sdcs; Mar 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:41 PM   #14

panny is the better hd camera, would work better for your needs. give you better HD options then just mpeg. But the gf2 suffers the same as the g and other gf camera, they are not as good in photos jpegs or high iso. pick your poison.

But they did use the ep1 to film screen form secratriate. That was pretty cool getting that kind of big screen quality.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:21 PM   #15

With the right lens EPL1 does great video, as good as GF1's AVCHD. The GH1 and GH2 produce even better HD. EPL1's advantage is its MJPEG, good color, low noise and easy to edit, favorable to professionals. GF1's MJPEG looks garbage.

My only issue with EPL1 now is focusing. It gives false focus for photos sometimes and hunting in and out slightly in video. GF2 (correction: should have written as GF1) has no such issues at all.

Last edited by sdcs; Mar 24, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:38 PM   #16

The new msc lens on the epl2 i getting very good reviews. So i would say it is a lens vs camera issue. Only the gh2 does not hunt in video, gf2 does. I tried the gf2 at the store with the 14-45, in less the ideal lighting. gh2 has a video af system, the gf2 is just a upgraded gf1 af system.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:59 PM   #17

Sorry I made a typo above: "GF2" should have been written as "GF1".
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:18 PM   #18

Just finished reading reviews of GF1 and GF2 by depreview.

The reviewer said: "In our lens tests both Panasonic kit lenses is measurably better than the Olympus equivalents".

When I put the panny kit on my E-PL1, I immediately saw stunning colors popping out right to my face, never seen such a thing before. I sold the oly kit immediately, it's simply not good enough while the panny is.

From the reviews, GF2's IQ is too far behind GF1, especially on high ISO, can only do well below 800. And even raw won't help. I've found my GF1 is very close to my EPL1 on almost every regards plus its focusing is flawless. I have no fear to switch from EPL1 to GF1, but not much reasons neither. I do want the GF2 for its ETC mode, so I finally have a camera in my pocket. But seems IQ loss would be too much. Hopefully oly will add ETC feature in its newer model, I believe this feature is a must for MFT to be popular.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:23 AM   #19

they go back and forth depending one the site, the optical test gives the oly a bit of a lead, but not worth mention. And if you look at the image resouces sample, all the lenses were pretty equal from 100-800 iso, the better oly iso gives the oly allot better results at 800-1600. So it is all about personal taste with the kit lenses. They are no mark improvements between them, the new oly and panny are better then the first gen lenses. And the sample of the mkII and new panny are as close as the mk I and the old kit.

DPR also loves the panny of late.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:55 AM   #20

Got the GF2, the best camera human ever made so far:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ml#post1212516

The GH2 produces better video, but too large and heavy; the EPL2 produces the best colors, but not good for video, and, without ETC feature, you still need a bag to carry it. Both defeat the great potential of MFT. GF2 is the first MFT done right.